Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

incrementing constant delcaration in vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeka

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I declared some registers as constant in vhdl. I'd like to send them to a component via spi. However there are more than 1000 registers to send.

All of registers are declared as :

-- address
constant REG0000 : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0):= x"0000";
constant REG0001 : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0):= x"0001";
constant REG03FF : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0):= x"03FF";

--datas
constant REGV0000 : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0):= "0000010";
constant REGV0001 : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0):= "0001001";
constant REGV03FF : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0):= "0100100";

I'd like to send all the registers by incrementing the constant value : something like REG <= "REG"&i;

I tried to create a string but it does'nt work.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Joeka

Not actually clear what you tried to achieve. A constant value can be altered e.g. in a generate loop but not in regular concurrent or sequential code. That's why we call it a constant.

Actually, I don't want to modify constant values. I just want to read them in a loop but i don't know how to increment the reading.

Oh, I didn't see at first view what you meaned with this funny "REG"&i expression. There's no VHDL syntax to generate dynamical object names. By the way, do you know a hardware description or programming language that has it?

Please get a VHDL text book and take a look at arrays. There are also arrays of constants.

Reactions: joeka

joeka

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for your help. I'm gonna take a look at arrays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back