Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In which family is Coplanar Strip Line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

appledapple

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys! I'm new to the group and new to designing for high frequencies. My problem is I'm confused with Coplanar Strip Line. Is it in the family of Strip Line or Coplanar Waveguide? Pls help! Thanks!:D

transmission lines

Quick answer is...YES!

Stripline TL have a microstrip that is sandwiched between a ground plane above and below...it can be symmetric or asymmetric

Coplanar Waveguides have a microstrip line that has two ground planes on either side that are coplanar with the microstrip.

Coplanar Striplines are simply the superposition of these two. So it is a microstrip line that has two grounds planes on either side that are coplanar and this plane is sandwiched between two ground planes above and below (separated by a dielectric of course) You can occasionally see these TL in PCB boards in the internal layers.

Hope this helps! :)

Re: transmission lines

The advantage of coplanar is that parts can be soldered in shunt directly between the two conductors. This eliminates the parasitic inductance of a via and the parasitic capacitance of a soldering pad. These can be major problems in the microwave region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back