Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In the GSM network, how many channel found in one cell? on w

Status
Not open for further replies.

anwer_sbh

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cluster of gsm channels

In the GSM network, how many channel found in one cell? on wha t it depends?
and what is the difference between the channel and the voice channel (the width of each), and how many voice channel can be in one cell of GSM. And how many calls the one cell of GSM can handls.

gsm 40 voice channels

Well, GSM is a cellular network and the number of channels per cell depends upon the "cluster size" with which the network has been designed.

M

gsm area per cell

magnetra said:
Well, GSM is a cellular network and the number of channels per cell depends upon the "cluster size" with which the network has been designed.
For cluster size N = 4, number o channel per cell is 1000/4 = 250 channels.

M
hi,
what is the 1000 figure that u used?
as far as i can remember , the number of channels are computed after knowing the Module used and the given BW "may be more than one company using GSM" and the size of the cell and it must satisfy a grade of service of 2% , so it depends on how much traffic is expected in the cell area(i.e. statistical measurments should be done to see the expected number of users in each area and their probable usage then planning is done)
regards

gsm carrier divided

it is not a fixed parameter. if the BS antenna work based on 3 or more sectorized cells, the capacity (no of channels) will arises.
uplink bandwidth=20MHz
Downlink bandwidth=20MHz

how many channels available in gsm

safwatonline is correct. Out of total number of channels available in GSM system, the channels available to an operator depends upon the bandwidth it has been assigned by the authority.

M

how many channels are there in gsm

it depends on many things:
how many carriers (channel) the provider have?
the frequency reuse scheme the provider uses?

acctually, we have 124 accessible carriers (channels) in "900 band" and 374 in "1800 band".
each carrier contains 8 time slots ,some of them are control channels ,and some of them are voice channels.
in one cell the provider uses some of the carriers as it design the frequency reuse scheme.

if you wanna to know more, i can mail you a nice technical report.

cluster and cell+gsm

Can u plz send me that tecnical report

Re: In the GSM network, how many channel found in one cell?

Where is that book? Please upload!

in GSM -800MHz band ,124 carrier divided equally for uplink and downlink

so no of channels =62 carrier
assume we have N=7 cluster with omnidirectional antenna,so no of carriers /cell=8
we have 8 time slots per carrier ,6 of them for traffic
so no of channels per cell=48 channel

from erlang table u can get traffic in erlangs.

of course for any type of cluster the no of channels are different,but follow the same procedure and u can get the no of channels in each case.
i wish i was helpful

MOSTAFA

correlator2006 said:
MOSTAFA
hi, i have studied that to avoid interference at least first and the last carriers are not used. i m not sure, but there are some other carriers left also for the control signals.
in the light of this, can any one or u MUSTAFA, do the calculations once again???..

Regards
Naveed

Naveed Alam said:
correlator2006 said:
MOSTAFA
i m not sure, but there are some other carriers left also for the control signals.

Naveed

As Eng. mostafa said, there are two time slots (per each carrier) are left for control bits,
plus that you asked about voice channels..

BTW:I think that the difference between "carrier" and "channel" is well known for you..

thanks

anwer_sbh said:
In the GSM network, how many channel found in one cell? on wha t it depends?
and what is the difference between the channel and the voice channel (the width of each), and how many voice channel can be in one cell of GSM. And how many calls the one cell of GSM can handls.

it all depends on how the cell is planned.

You need one channel as the BCCH (broadcasting channel). and the subsequent channels are known as TCHs.

One channel is divided into 8 timeslots. Timeslot 0 in BCCH is used as the broadcasting timeslot. usually, there will be 2 timslots used for signalling (SDCCH). some switchable timeslots for data (PDCH). the rest are for voice.

One timeslot can sustain one call.

hope this help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.