Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Importing CDL with parameterized cells

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am having some troubles importing an IP CDL where the standard gates like inverters and nor-gates use parameters for device widths and lengths.

Take for instance these snippets of a 2-input NOR and an inverter:

Code:
.SUBCKT nor2_1p8v A B SUB VDD VSS Y
NM1 Y B VSS VSS VDD SUB nch_1p8v m=1 length=nl width=nw
NM0 Y A VSS VSS VDD SUB nch_1p8v m=1 length=nl width=nw
PM1 Y B net7 VDD SUB pch_1p8v m=1 length=pl width=pw
PM0 net7 A VDD VDD SUB pch_1p8v m=1 length=pl width=pw
.ENDS

and

Code:
.SUBCKT inv_1p8v A SUB VDD VSS Y
NM1 Y A VSS VSS VDD SUB nch_1p8v m=1 length=nl width=nw
PM0 Y A VDD VDD SUB pch_1p8v m=1 length=pl width=pw
.ENDS

These cells are then instantiated in many other sub-blocks, very often with varying pw/pl/nw/ln, for instance:

Code:
.SUBCKT buf_1p8v A B SUB VDD VSS C
I1 net15 SUB VDD VSS B / inv_1p8v pw=2u pl=0.18u nw=1u nl=0.18u
I2 C A SUB VDD VSS net15 / nor2_1p8v pw=2u pl=0.18u nw=1u nl=0.18u
.ENDS

I can indeed import the CDL and do get the right devices and everything, but! Instead of seeing the device width (CDF = 'fw') or length (CDF = 'l') becoming pw/pl/nw/nl they become default values and just insert user properties that don't take any effect in the netlists whatsoever:
1692946575159.png

An initial and very simple fix could have been to open the few standard-cells that carry these parameters and just put pw/pl/nw/nl into the length and width of the devices, but all the schematic symbols don't contain the information about which particular inv_1p8v that should have say pw = 1u or pw = 2u and hence, one must also manually update all the symbols accordingly.

So I am quite a bit at a loss. Does anyone of you possibly know how to resolve this issue?

Best regards

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back