Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Convergence Problem with analogLib vpulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

memoslw

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a BGR circuit in schematic. Basically, I want to pull one of the nodes to vdd by utilising an analogLib vpulse connected to an analogLib switch. By this way, the node I want to control would be pulled high periodically and I can observe the circuit's behaviour (theoretically).

At first, I set up the vpulse and switch circuit separate from the BGR circuit I have, but both are residing in the same schematic. When I ran a transient analysis, I got an error (SPECTRE-16192) stating that no convergence achieved. The simulation log have given info about the nodes that had "Solutions too large", all these nodes are residing on my BGR circuit. I am listing info that might be useful below:
  • I have previously done transient analysis on my BGR circuit without the vpulse and switch circuit, the circuit behaviour is as expected and simulation converges with no errors.
  • My BGR circuit consists of transistors and resistors from a 22nm technology, but it also has an ideal amplifier from analogLib (vcvs).
  • The amount of time for transient simulation to fail is somehow related to the period of the vpulse. Convergence error occurs as soon as one period of the vpulse passes.
I can give further details upon request. I would appreciate any help, information and/or suggestion, thank you all in advance.

Seems you are forcing to ideal sources to fight each other. Without schematic/netlist or even the spectre log, it is hard to say anything more.

Ideal switches can be too ideal as well. As a minimum, apply good
"on" and "off" resistance values and sane VON/VOFF (hysteresis
there can defeat DC solution, but I like some anyhow, using some
sort of startup circuit).

I have sometimes found switch behavior troublesome and used
a poly vccs to make the same function (basically a multiplier)
given proper control voltages (=0 -> "off", positive value = "on"
resistance scale factor, a minuscule "off" voltage can represent
leakage).

It would not be a terrible idea to put trivial resistors between any
two "ideal" elements. What is "trivial" depends on what you are
up to, but "trivial" can be determined by a sensitivity analysis or
toggled by using variables, to see outcomes.

I have solved the issue. The problem was vcvs and vpulse being in the same schematic together. It might be a bug. I have changed the vcvs with an OPAMP I created, which solved the issue. I am using Virtuoso version ICADVM20.1-64b.14.

Thank you all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back