Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impedence offered by cross coupled transistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

khatri

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

I am implementing a VCO which had cross coupled NMOS transistors and i wish to find the impedence offered by the cross coupled pair.

as it is a oscillator, the impedence should be negative.

can anyone please tell me how to find its impedence in CADENCE.

khatri said:
... how to find its impedence in CADENCE.
Connect a unit current source (analogLib/isin) with AC magnitude=1 and any Frequency (reasonable: your expected VCO output frequency) between the 2 points where you want to measure the impedance. Then run an ac analysis, sweeping the frequency between your points of interest. The voltage difference v between the 2 connected points (i.e. over the isin source) is your frequency-dependent impedance: z = v/i with i=1 , i.e. kVolts ≙ kOhms .

More exactly Real(Zin)=-2/gm..So for VCO investigation one should find Real(v/i)

i am using this MOSFET cross coupled pair for VCO implementation and i get the oscillations and desired tuning range. so i should get negative resistance for the cross coupled MOS pair but i m not getting it.

any idea why thats happening.

This example with BJTs but for MOS it should be the same

real((IF("/V6/PLUS") / (VF("/net033") - VF("/net0122"))))

67_1239977624.jpg

thanks for the detailed explanation Alex, i got my mistake and the negative resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back