Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identifying old transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuel

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I bought an old transformer at a garage sale a while ago and was wondering if you guys might be able to help me figure out what it is.

It is pretty big, about 15x15cm.

The only markings are...

10-1222-A
NTK

On one side there are 2 blue wires and 2 grey. On the other side there is a white, orange, yellow, and brown. I have no idea which is the primary and secondary, although i'm guessing the blue and grey are the primary.

Does anyone know how i would hook it up to at least measure the secondary voltage? perhaps both blue to active, both grey to neutral?... i have no idea.

The reason i want to find out what this old beast is, is that i just blew up a 240V:240V isolation transformer, and i'm kind of hoping that there is a small chance my garage sale tranny will also be an isolation transformer (looks pretty similar to the one i blew up)

Thanks,

Sam

Hi smuel...

Well, according your description...
-four wires at each side, may each side, I mean HV or LV are internally connected in Y. I mean one wire is the neutral
-if you can leave the core, at first sight you can discover wich side is HV or LV, the section wire of LV > section wire HV
-Low voltage winding is the first around the core, and high voltage winding is around the low voltage winding

I hope have helped you...

:D

Ok, ill try to hack into it (stripped screw holding me back) and see if i can figure out which is the primary.

I still dont get what you mean by the 4 wire thing... Once i figure out which side is the primary, how do i connect the 4 wires to mains??

Thanks,

Sam

wait, wait...
may your transformer is a device having 2 voltage input, I mean the blue wires are single phase input voltage (120v) an the greys wires too (or 220)

and the output voltage are white, orange, yellow, and brown,may one of them is the neutral or common wire for the 3 others...

Do you have a multimeter? have you measured continuity?:idea:

its a 3 phase transformer. and dont connect the transformer to power supply or ur ac supply . connect one of end of transformer to some supply voltage and check the voltage at other side then u can find which is primary or secondary winding.

if u wana step down the voltage then use the end which shows a low voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.