Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C Read Doubt!! Pl clarify!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakthikumaran87

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am following Phillips I2C spec, and in that they have given that a read will happen only after a dummy write to that address, whereas write can be directly done to the address. Why is this? Why cant we directly read from a reg without making a dummy write to it. is this protocol specification or philips own constraint. If so why this constraint cropped up. can we write a I2C slave, with FSM for direct read???

Thanks in Advance.

I wonder what you mean with dummy write and which clause of the I2C-bus specification you're referring to?

A basic I2C transaction can be e.g. a read address followed one data byte (if it makes sense for the specific I2C device). For example read the input from a PCF8574 port expander.

an I2C fame is always composed by a start condition followed with a 8bits composed by 7bit of slave address and 1 bit to define the direction (read/write) of the following bytes, nothing else. An acknowledge occurs for each byte done by the the circuit which received this byte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back