Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hyper Terminal for USB port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameeds01

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello guys
I want to do a communication between PIC18F2550 & a PC with no serial & parallel ports, can I use Hyper Terminal for USB communication ??
e.g
if i send "A" via hyperterminal to PIC18F2550 using USB port then it turns ON the LED thatz it

is it possible?? any tutorial plzz?

Hyper Terminal is only for serial ports, you cant use that for usb.

There are some softwares that sniffes the usb port, use one of them

Nandhu

nandhu015 said:

Nandhu

if not then what is this

https://www.microchipc.com/sourcecode/

Code:
"Plug your PIC18F4550 into your PC using a USB cable. A virtual RS232 COM port is created, allowing your application to print RS232 messages into HyperTerminal. Allows porting of legacy code that used RS232 comms"
???

hameeds01 said:
nandhu015 said:

Nandhu

if not then what is this

https://www.microchipc.com/sourcecode/

Code:
"Plug your PIC18F4550 into your PC using a USB cable. A virtual RS232 COM port is created, allowing your application to print RS232 messages into HyperTerminal. Allows porting of legacy code that used RS232 comms"
???

That is virtual RS232 port(software emulation), not a real one!!

I've not gone through all the details in the link you provided, but those virtual ports are created when you use USB to RS232 converter cables.

Unfortunately, the above answers are somewhat incomplete, partly ignorant.

You can easily make your USB device be accepted as virtual serial port by your PC, if you do two things:

- build your USB device as a CDC (communication device class) device. This involves specific device descriptors and possibly
processing of a few class specific commands

- provide an *.inf file during installation, that recognizes the VID/PID combination of your device as CDC device, that wants to use
a virtual serial port. Then the respective Windows standard drivers are installed.

If succeding with theses steps, you can identify the virtual COM port in the Windows device manager and connect
HyperTerminal.

C compilers often have ready-to-use (more or less) example USB serial/CDC applications, including firmware and
an example *.inf file. CCS and Microchip surely have.

Reactions: kdg007

hameeds01

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

kdg007

Thanks FvM for enlightening us.

Would be great if you can point to a tutorial to learn more about this topic.

I would primarly suggest the said "USB serial" examples from CCS (shipped with CCS C) or Microchips "USB Device -
CDC - Serial Emulator" example from the downloadable "Microchip Application Libraries".

Reactions: kdg007

kdg007

Status
Not open for further replies.