Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use PC RAM in a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arash_micro

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all.
Do you know How to use PC RAM in a circuit.For example, i have a 256M ram and i want to use it in my PIC based circuit.
Thanks.

It is complicated.
1st you need to adress it (32 lines).
2nd you need to receive data (32 or 64 lines)

and, you need to provide logic to keep refreshing it ( becouse it is Dynamic RAM)

You will need a BIG PIC fo it. And I'm not sure how will it behave on slow clock speeds (10MHz for PIC18, or 40MHz for a dsPIC)

You would be better with MMC or SD flash memories. they support SPI communication.

RAM boards for PC just have too many pins to be interfaced to a micro controller. SDRAM (which is obsolete) had around 140 I think, DDR has 180 and DDR2 has 240. If you can find old 72 pin SDRAM's (they were used on Pentium I systems) i would be possible to interface it but these newer chips... no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back