Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate a microstrip gap with such a reference plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywke

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The Figure shows a layout of a microstrip gap for EM simulation, where arrows indicate the reference planes for de-embedding to obtain the two-port Y parameters of the microstrip gap.
what I want to konw is that which EM simulation tool can do this work and whether
IE3D can do it. Can anyone tell me what is de-embedding and the purpose for it?
Had better to give a procedure in detail.

Thanks in advance.

flywke

Re: How to simulate a microstrip gap with such a reference p

Hello flywke,

Use Sonnet EM Simulator...
Free Sonnet Lite version is available at **broken link removed**

De-embedding in Electromagnetic simulator removes the effects of the port discontinuities and feedlines from the results of the simulation.
The EM simulator can have electrical ports defined at the edge of the defining box (i.e edge ports) which may introduce the discontinuities to the results...

EM deembedding is the same thing as deembedding (i.e., calibrating) a physical measurement. You do not want the S-parameters of your feed structure included in the measurement. The NA calibration characterizes and removes the feed structure. In EM, deembedding does exactly the same thing.
In Summery
1. Removes port discontinuity
2. Removes the box wall coupling
3. If you use a reference plane that has some distance from the box wall,
it will subtract phase from the results equal the line lengths to the reference plane
4. Again, if you use a reference plane of finite distance from the edge, and you have more than one parallel transmission line, it will remove the cross-coupling between these lines up to the reference plane.

An article on deembedding is completely described in the following paper:
Unification of double-delay and SOC electromagnetic deembedding
Rautio, J.C.; Okhmatovski, V.I.;
Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on
Volume 53, Issue 9, Sept. 2005 Page(s):2892 - 2898

---manju---

Thank you manju for your elaborate response.
I find that shift reference plane is also available in IE3D and maybe the S parameters get errors because of deembedding. Can you tell me about How to realize this with IE3D.

flywke

Hello flywke,

Sorry, I never used IE3D (if free version available then I am happy to evaluate)... I heard this capability available in IE3D...
Some body can comment on the same...

---manju--

Hi manju
Thank you for your advice, I will download the free version of the Sonnet EM simuation and try it as soon as quickly.

flywke

Hi, Flywke:

Immediately after you define an extension port on IE3D, please select PORT->DEFINE REFERENCE PLANE to shift the reference to where ever you want.

bset regards,

u can try checking IE3D manual there is a chapter on de-embedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back