Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to set default track size to 1mm in Protel DXP 2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

santiago

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
p*r*o*t*e*l problem !!!

hI,
i'm starting with p*r*o*t*e*l DXP 2004, how can i set my default track size to 1mm?
i tried : Design >> Rules >>Routing >> Width, but no success .

byE ...

p*r*o*t*e*l problem !!!

If i remember rightly you have gone down the right line, but you need to make your min track size 0.5 (say) and prefered size 1mm and maxium 1mm, but if you need bigger size track than that then set it to what ever you want, but if you change the track size in the design it might not revert back to 1mm how ever if you wanted to use 1mm all over your PCB apart from the power lines then you can add rules so that all your power planes are set bigger, you can add as amny rules as you like

hope that helps yoou a bit better

wizpic

Re: p*r*o*t*e*l problem !!!

ThanX wizpic,
i still can't get it to work, this pic is from the default menu :
but still when i draw a track it's 0.254mm . how can i change it once? . not to draw the tracks then changing to 1mm one by one .
Regards,

hi,
U can try the following.

1. Go to tools then Designn Rules.
2. In Design Rules Double Click The track width rule.
3. Then change the minium track width to 0.2mm(or some minimu values) and prefered track width to 1mm and maximum to any value greater than the minimun.

I think it will work..

Regards,
Siva..

First go to Tools>Preferences>PCB Editor>Defaults. Note there is a check box under "Options" that says Permanent - that box means that whatever is set for the primitive (such as a track) will not change from the default value. I recommend you make sure that box is NOT checked.

Now, the track size can be set by hitting 'tab' when you begin to place the track, and then entering the track information you want in the resulting dialog. That default will remain unless you change it again manually, or you set a rule that overrides the default.

The rule that folks are telling you in the replies above, is to set the DRC and impedance driven rule maximums and minimums. It will not actually change the width unless another rule calls for it.

To change the width of tracks already placed. You will want to use "Find Similar Objects" and specify the same object (track), the same existing width, the same layer, etc. Once they have been selected by 'fso' you would use the PCB Inspector panel to change the width of all the selected tracks to whatever you want.

santiago said:
hI,
i'm starting with p*r*o*t*e*l DXP 2004, how can i set my default track size to 1mm?
i tried : Design >> Rules >>Routing >> Width, but no success .

byE ...

I have a pretty cool PDF written in Korean with Enligsh subtitles. It does not use the defaults method that others have described but instead it uses the PCB wizrd approach to set the trace sizes.

E-mail me and I will be happy to forward a copy - I dont have points to post around here. its about 15M

Thanks
~B

p*r*o*t*e*l problem !!!

why not up laod it to rapidshare or some other file share palces there is plenty around rapidshare is a good one

wizpic

wizpic said:
why not up laod it to rapidshare or some other file share palces there is plenty around rapidshare is a good one

wizpic

Very good suggestion. Here it is, hope it helps anyone who wants to wip a quick PCB with Protel DXP 2004 and not have to get a master's degree - but seriously the product is pretty complex!

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back