Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to recognize motor RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAIDE

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How I can measure the RPM of dc motor. I would like to use Codevision, in fact I have to measure the speed in one second, so I have to make a trick using timers but I dunno more detaails, ay one can help.

The easiest way is to use some form of encoder to read the rotation. If all you are doing is measuring RPM, a single hole with an emitter/detector would be enough. Every time the hole comes around, count the "tick". X number of "ticks" per time frame will give you enough information to calculate RPM.

If the motor has a "Flat" on the shaft, one thing I've done is to use a proximity detector positioned by the flat of the shaft. It would be close enough to detect the round and miss the flat so I got my "tick" that way.

You may use different methodes depending on your need and capability. Either optical or magnetic solutions. Here you find different applications: **broken link removed** .

Enjoy your design work!

Status
Not open for further replies.