Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to program "myvariable=address of data structure" in C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwmmboy

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am a beginner using C to program microcontrollers.
I have this problem: I have a variable (int, not a pointer ) representing an address and I have a data structure (array of int) .
How can I do the following operation:

myvariable=Address of the data structure

Tx.

Re: Pointer issue

I wrote the follwoing code in DevC++. It will automatically run in a dos window.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{
int x, y[50];

x = (int)y;
printf("\nx: %x y: %p", x, y);
getch();

return 0;
}

I initially wrote code to make sure that sizeof(x) = sizeof(y) so that x would be large enough to contain the value of y which is a pointer.
In this case, a DevC++ int is 4 bytes in size and the pointer is 4 bytes in size. always be careful, because on other systems and compilers these can vary. For example, in TurboC++ int's were 16 bits in size and you had far and near pointers which were different.

Anyway, the only real trick is to use a typecast, in this case typecasting the pointer into an integer with the x = (int)y; statement. Conversions like this are done all the time in c programming.

Pointer issue

depends on the microcontroller .... if an address variable ie a pointer in your case has the same size as a long int or default int, you can do a typecast as shown in the previous post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back