Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to plot radiation patter as shown in attached paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal_sonam

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
i have worked on this paper using HFSS. My s(11) parameters are matching but i m not able to plot radiation patter as shown in this paper.
please somebody help me in plotting the radiation pattern as like as given in this paper so that i can compaire my results
i m not able to read the plot how to read it.
In this paper they have plot the radiation patter for 6, 7,8 Ghz but i dont know for what value of phi and theta should be choose to plot the radiation pattern
regards
vishal

Attachments

• 12.pdf
    320.1 KB · Views: 140

Please upload the HFSS file of yours so that i may run it on my pc and let you know if the results match...

i have attached my file

Attachments

• Ansoft.rar
    7 KB · Views: 110

Still wondering how you have got a good confirmation of s11 values when your trace(radiating element) doesnt even touch the port, and on top of it the solution doesnt converge after six passes. fix these two and you will be able to get desired radiation pattern.

Regards
Elchiquito

Still wondering how you have got a good confirmation of s11 values when your trace(radiating element) doesnt even touch the port, and on top of it the solution doesnt converge after six passes. fix these two and you will be able to get desired radiation pattern.

Regards
Elchiquito

i think i have sent you the wrong
sorry
i have to check it again

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

what does it mean "adaptive passes did not converge based on specified data"
and yes i sent the wrong file

for the solution to be valid your passes have to converge. you will have to go higher up the passes when you set up the solution frequency, increase the number from 6 to 10 or more.

Regards
Elchiquito

hello
i have attached the correct file.
tell me if my radiation is matching or not.

Attachments

• Ansoft.rar
    26.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

There are no similarities from what i have seen from the paper.

i don't doubt the paper, but a question to myself, how in the world would you get a radiation pattern similar to the one presented in the paper with a printed monopole? seriously baffled.

Regards
Elchiquito

There are no similarities from what i have seen from the paper.

i don't doubt the paper, but a question to myself, how in the world would you get a radiation pattern similar to the one presented in the paper with a printed monopole? seriously baffled.

Regards
Elchiquito

hmmm ok

can you please tell me for what value of theta and phi you plot the radiation pattern
suppose if i set the frequency 6GHz so what value of theta and phi will i set.
or i should select all theta value and all phi values.

Vishal

Here is what i want you to do, Grab a ball and get a feel for yourself about theta and Phi. hold the ball against a corner of the room with height being your Z-direction and then x and y would be the your floor in accordance with the left hand rule.

so when holding your ball you will see that you can form a sphere using two circles one parallel to the height and one parallel to the floor. when you hold one stationary and run the second along the periphery of the first one.

do the same with the second one held stationary and first running along the periphery. when done together you have a sphere, this gives you a good understanding of the theta and phi.

so when you plot 2D radiation pattern you are plotting either phi for fixed values of theta or phi for fixed values of phi

normally you would plot theta for fixed values of phi=0 and 90 or anything else

for the example of a dipole or monopole you plot theta for a fixed value of phi and then phi for a fixed value of theta.

Hope that helps

Regards
Elchiquito

Please Elchiquito sir, kindly correct me wherever i am wrong:

for E-plane radiation patterns:
phi=0, plot Etheta v/s theta-----> co polar curve
phi=90, plot Etheta v/s theta----> cross polar

for H-plane patterns:
phi=90, plot Ephi v/s theta-----> co polar
phi=0, plot Ephi v/s theta------> cross polar

Please be specific in the reply, as i am having this doubt on which component to plot to obtain the correct plots.

thanks in advance.

Ashish

here we go. our example here is a patch, E-field is in the direction of the field lines, so theta=90 for variable phi is E plane, H-plane is phi=0 and theta=0 to 180. and the polarization of the patch antenna here is horizontal polarization, right? since the polarization is the trace of the E-field line.

Co polar curve for E field is theta=90 for phi, horizontal polarization, what would be the theta(cross polar) which would make it vertical polarization, theta=0 right.

Similarly for H-field co polar curve phi=0 for varibale theta what would make the polarization orthogonal phi=90(cross polar curve)

Hope that helps man.

I tried my best, and believe me i am not a good teacher have experienced it myself. if you find it difficult to understand kindly let me know one more time

Regards
Elchiquito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back