Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure internal resistance of ATX power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack_yls

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to measure internal resistance of PC/ ATX power supply? Using Voltmeter and Ammeter? extra resistor?

The same way as you would measure the internal resistance of a battery ..
Measure the voltage with no load (or minimum required load) then measure the voltage with rated load ..

The internal resistance can be estimated by using the following formula:
Rint=(Vnoload-Vload)/Iload

Regards,
IanP

Understand, however, i re modified the equation and become E = I (R+r).

where E = Voltage without load; I= current with load; R = load; r = internal resistance. Right?

However, in practicing, the value of I*R > value E, is this valid?

I'm using 27 ohm as load, the E = 4.974 V (measurement by voltmeter), R = 27.24 (after take 5 times measurement); and the I = 0.1904 A (measurement by ammeter). By this info, after calculate, the internal resistance, r = -1.1245 ohm.

So, i wish to ask , E must more than I*R? Or there's is other ways to get the internal resistance of power supply?

Added after 8 minutes:

For Info. One of the ways to get internal resistance; by the way, there are no description about how to measure the power supply internal resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.