Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement soft UART ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nprao

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Can any one tell me how to implement soft Uart with some code example or any link.

Thanks

uart source code soft

Hi,
Soft UART is meaningful only for very low baud rates. (<19,200).
The theory is
Sample the RX at 3/5/7 times the baud rate.
Align the data such that 3/5/7 reperesents one data bit.
Take the center (2nd/3rd/4th) bit at the RX data. If you use higher sampling you may be able to handle large short term baudrate variations.

Hope this helps.
B R M

data path of uart

Hi brmadhukar

Can please post here some code example or email me the code if you have email: nprao4@hotmail.com

Thanks

soft-uart

brmadhukar said:
Hi,
Soft UART is meaningful only for very low baud rates. (<19,200).
The theory is
Sample the RX at 3/5/7 times the baud rate.
Align the data such that 3/5/7 reperesents one data bit.
Take the center (2nd/3rd/4th) bit at the RX data. If you use higher sampling you may be able to handle large short term baudrate variations.

Hope this helps.
B R M

it is quite possible to implement higher data rates in a software uart including 115K and above. I agree that with higher baud rates its going to be better (and easier) to use a hardware uart, but its still a matter of designing within the limits of the controller. for example i wrote firmware for an atmel that runs at 115K with only one sample point for the bit but the serial data path is only a few cm. obviously if the data needs to travel further or be in a noisier environment then more sampling will be needed.

atmega asm soft uart

Look at IAR site appnote for micro w*w.iar.com

You will find an app not for soft uart in C language

Best

Bobi

Status
Not open for further replies.