Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to got whole PLL bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

fencl

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i'm a newer in pll, papers often told me the pll bandwidth should less than 1/10 of operation frequency. but how can i got the whole pll bandwidth with hspice? we take a basic pll for eg. vin is input ck,vref is feedback ck. and vout is output ck.
what kind of source should i set?since pll is a discrete system with no op point as opamp.

vin vin 0 dc ? ac 1
.ac dec 10 1 1g

i try like this source ,but the result seems incorrect.
Then how could i got it ?

maybe it is better to built the linear model in matlab and check the bode plot

fencl said:
hi,
i'm a newer in pll, papers often told me the pll bandwidth should less than 1/10 of operation frequency. but how can i got the whole pll bandwidth with hspice? we take a basic pll for eg. vin is input ck,vref is feedback ck. and vout is output ck.
what kind of source should i set?since pll is a discrete system with no op point as opamp.

vin vin 0 dc ? ac 1
.ac dec 10 1 1g

i try like this source ,but the result seems incorrect.
Then how could i got it ?

you will have to create a linear model of all the PLL components and then you can plot it in spice giving it stimulus similar to what you showed below.

fencl said:
hi,
i'm a newer in pll, papers often told me the pll bandwidth should less than 1/10 of operation frequency. ?

Who told you that? Santa Claus?

So if you have a 20 GHz oscillator and you phase lock it, your PLL bandwidth sould be 2 GHz wide????

The loop bandwidth has NOTHING to do with the VCO oscillating frequency.

Hi all,
Its true fencl, take a look here:

Status
Not open for further replies.