Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get the image of AC or DC line into a micro or ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeleC

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AC And DC image

hello
i want to know how to get the image of an AC line to be fed into a microcontroler or ADC.
What should i use ....op amp ,filters....????
and for a DC line is the Resitor divider the only way???

AC And DC image

I assume you simply want a series of digital samples representing the dV/dt wave forms? Regardless of what you want to do with these samples the answer is an ADC. Depending on what you want to do with these samples, the ADC can be a discrete IC, a feature of a microcontroller or the sound card on your PC. You should prolly give a bit more detail about what you are trying to do. Ultimately the easiest answer is an oscilloscope, but I assume you have some purpose in mind that precludes this obvious answer.

Fish

Re: AC And DC image

For AC case - a transformer is the safest way.If you know for sure which conductor is neutral and which is hot - you can use a divider,too. BUT BE CAREFUL !
For DC case the resistor divider is the easiest way.I don't know why you don't like it.

AC And DC image

maybe in other words what is the basic structure of a voltmeter ...?i think that a voltmeter dont have a a trnasformer... so what they do to transfer the high voltage AC to a microcontroller i know that it has to be passed by a ADC but what comes before??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back