Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to get square wave across an inductor in an RL circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhammad-ahsan-khan

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
square wave inductor

how to get square wave across an inductor in an RL circuit?
As we know , if we apply a square wave to an RL circuit, the voltage across inductor is nothing but a series of pulses due to the resistance associated with the inductor and source.
My objective is to get a pure square wave across an inductor.
how can I do it?

rl circuit square wave

Hi,
Keep the pulse width smaller than the time constant L/R of the circuit.

Regards,
Laktronics

square wave rl circuit

Depending on the application, it could be an option to restore the original waveform, either by analog or digital circuit.

inductors square wave

I have tried a lot of things but it does not work.
Increasing L/R is not feasible as it will require a very high frequency in my project as L and R values are constant.In an RL circuit one gets pulses which die out exponentially hence the voltage levels will not be smooth either.

current inductor square wave

One large issue is the saturation of the inductor core. Laktronics has already stated the most common solution. Keep the time constant large so that you are limited to just the initial portions of the exponential current ramp curve. At this area, the curve is fairly linear.
You stated that you cannot change the time constant. Therefore, you would have to introduce a logrithmetic driving voltage to counteract the expoential function. Such driving voltage are difficult as they increase without bounds.
Please stop and think what you are asking. For a true sqaure wave voltage across an inductor, the current must be continually ramping during the entire flat portion. It has to do this without getting anywhere near core saturation or the impedance of the coil drops greatly.

generate square wave for inductor

Taking the question together with your other posts, I realized that you just have been posting to parts of a problem (from a book, a class, an interview or whatever). The question could actually have been clearer!

Connect a triangular current source to your RL series circuit. You have a triangular voltage wave at the resistor and a a square wave at the inductor then. Total voltage is the superimposition of triangular and square waveform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back