Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find threshold voltage of PMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not clear what you mean, in simulation package?

In cadence, one way i find is to do a dc analysis , with save dc operating points, then go to results, print, dc operating points, then click on the pmos symbol. is there other ways

In cadence, one way i find is to do a dc analysis , with save dc operating points, then go to results, print, dc operating points, then click on the pmos symbol. is there other ways

Plot Id vs Vsg. Voltage value at which Id rises is Vthp. :bsdetector:

Plot Id vs Vsg. Voltage value at which Id rises is Vthp.

Then plot log Id vs Vsg : you'll see a continuous rise of Id. Now which value should you choose for Vth?

There's no common agreement, but more and more you see this definition for this current:

Id = IC * I0 * W/L

where IC is the (fixed-normalized) Inversion Coefficient taken as =1 , and I0 the so called technology current, which depends on the technological process (different for NMOS and PMOS), and of course is temperature dependent.

As you won't find these technology current values in the model files, I'd think it's just easier to take the VTH0 values always found there.

There's VT and there's VT, which one depends on who you're
talking to (fab rat, circuit designer, modeling dude). All similar
and probably "close enough".

You might want the model param, might want the OP result,
??? Either one ought to be accessible through Calculator
and Ocean scripts (using the cut/pasted calculator expression).

how to find Vth of pmos

For size of PMOS is specific; you run DC simulation: Id with Vsd and Vsg. After, you see plot and compare it with idea theory. You will find out Vth and some parameter PMOS.

which value should you choose for Vth?

Why you plot in log? Normal scale would be enough to find rise in current. You're talking about low sub-threshold current which is below Vthp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back