Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to discharge feeders ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Web Engineer

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys, when station is on air, the feeders are charged and I want it to be fully discharged. So, how can I discharge feeders to be in the safe side………

Re: Feeders discharge

I have seen a 400kW MW broadcast station about 2 years ago, which had an antenna tower about 190m . At the base of the tower I saw a big spark gap. Every time the tower charged with static I could hear a sound like a gun shot and see the spark.
I don't know if this solution is ok for the transmitter, since every time the spark fires, the output of the transmitter is heavy loaded. If the weather is windy, the spark gap may discharge every 2-5 minutes, or so.
That station uses 2 Harris DX200 transmitters and a combiner, and the transmitters are designed to support unproperly matched loads, by automaticly reducing the output power, starting cooling fans, and finaly turning off the transmitter if the loading is too heavy.

Maybe a better idea is to conect an RF choke between antenna tower and ground, or between the fider wires. The choke should support the discharging current.

Re: Feeders discharge

Dude, I would not screw around. If you do not know what you are doing, stay the heck away lest you get fried. I did work with a tower certified engineer, and he told me a story of climbing up an active tower. There was a big piece of plywood on the ground, and you had to jump from the bottom rungs of the tower onto the plywood, because if you tried to simply climb down you would be electrocuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back