Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide offset frequency in phase noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

swkimaz

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to decide offset frequency in phase noise?

Hi,
I have relaxation oscillator(ROSC) as reference clock for PLL. Based on PSS/Pnoise simulation of ROSC, I have ~3ns of RMS jitter if I integrate phase noise from 1KHz to 1MHz of offset frequency. Most of them are contributed by below 100KHz of offset frequency and PLL does not care of this phase noise because its bandwidth is larger than 100KHz. This clock will be used for ADC sampling through PLL.

Now, here are my questions.

1) For communication system application, we will have offset frequency for phase noise in system specification. But for microprocessor, memory, or ADC clock, how do I decide offset frequency range to integrate phase noise to calculate jitter? Should I integrate phase noise from low offset frequency(~1KHz) to ADC sampling frequency? If so, what is criteria to select it?

2) I want to add phase noise in ROSC to phase noise of PLL. I did PSS/Pnoise simulation for ROSC only and apply the data of phase noise of ROSC to close loop transfer function of PLL in Matlab. I know this is one of reasonable ways to see phase noise of reference clock in PLL loop. But, phase noise from simulation(PSS/Pnoise) has a unit of dBc/Hz and meaning is that x-axis of phase noise starts just offset frequency from oscillation frequency(not 0,or dc), but PLL transfer function has different unit(dB), meaning is that response of this function does not start from oscillation frequency. For example, oscillation frequency is 8MHz, PLL BW=1MHz. If we put phase noise of ROSC and PLL transfer function on same plot, reference signal including phase noise will be filtered out by PLL. Is this right simulation to see how does phase noise of reference clock(ROSC) with PLL loop affect to total jitter?

I am looking for your helps.

Last edited:

To know the lower integration frequency, you would want to know something about the way the communications system works.

Lets say it is a 64 QAM system that has a carrier tracking loop in the receiver. Such a system has a carrier tracking loop. Lets say you are sending 10 Mbps of data, and the carrier tracking control loop bandwidth was set at 5 KHz. Then phase noise within 5 KHz of the carrier will be "nulled out" by the receiver tracking loop, and it would be ok for you to use 5 KHz as the lower limit of integration.

Lets say the same 64 QAM system was transmitting 500 Mbps of data, and the carrier tracking look bandwidth was set at 100 KHz...you could move the phase noise lower frequency of integration up to 100 KHz.

In general, the lower the data rate, the lower the offset frequency you need to integrate the phase noise to.

Status
Not open for further replies.