Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to control a solar system byy network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzy

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Someone was asking me if it was possible to turn on or off his solar system from his computer when he is at work, the person isn't that technical so based on his set up I wouldn't be able to know what he is using meaning type inverter, charge controller, change over switch ect. I am no pro either but I do my readings on a lot of electronics but was wondering how would I set up something like that?

Is he excited about news that there is (or will be) the Internet of Things?

He'd need some indication that a blackout hit at home, in order to know it's time to activate the backup power. Similarly when street power comes back on. He'd need a power supply for all links of his communication chain.

* Changeover switch. This is the sort of thing that can be done by an automatic switch.

* Charge controller. It's conceivable when blackout hits, that we want to start charging from PV panels. I'm not sure where is the best place for a switch.

* Switch between inverter and battery bank. It can be automatic type if you wish loads to turn on automatically. However for best conservation, we want to be there to benefit from our backup power. (Important loads which we might want to turn on immediately, include a refrigerator to keep medication cool, or, a security system.)

If we do anything to a backup system, there are advantages to being present with our eyes and hands, since there are several areas where something can go wrong.

I was not referring to any form of block out, for some reason (it could be several) he would like to know if its possible to turn on and off a solar system over a network if so I am asking ways in which that can be done.

i think it can be done via a raspberry pi or even an arduino board(?)...c onnected up to your PC
Theres certainly some way of doing it with the labview setup, but that is expensive.

I was seeing some things persons were doing as projects with arduino to control things over the network all they used was a arduino and a network shield but its not know the coding and how to set it up thats m problem and in that case its very cheap, unless there is more to it

well maybe the software section of this forum can help you with the arduino, because all you need it to do is give out a tiny 5v signal say to switch on a relay or contactor. I am sure the arduino can be connected to a network. Softys would know.

Reactions: Enzy

Enzy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ok then thanks I never used the forum before but ill try and yes thats all I would need it to do.

i think it can be done via a raspberry pi or even an arduino board(?)...c onnected up to your PC
Theres certainly some way of doing it with the labview setup, but that is expensive.

Arduino is very easy to use and cheap compared to Raspberry. Arduino is a microcontroller while Raspberry is a different computer architecture.

For this project you will need an Arduino Uno, a Relay Shield and a Wifi shield. The relay shield is ready to use, just set the port and "digitalWrite()" it. You will find easily on internet the wifi code, ready to go, just set the network name, local ip, password and you are connected.

The last step is make Arduino to read the state of operation. There are two options:

1) The website ou mobile app finds Arduino

2) The Arduino finds the website or mobile, in this case, constantly.

Both has pros and cons. Do you know how to handle this possibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back