Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose the optimum value of m for a fixed ratio of W/L?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhlbluesky

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
recently i met a strange question,that is
for the same transistor with aspect ratio of W/L=40u/0.8u(or some other value),if i choose W/L=40/0.8(m=1) and W/L=40/0.8(m=20,W/L=20*2/0.8),the simulation result(in spectre) is rather different,if i use other value for m,the result is different ,too.i'm really confused.
if so,how should i choose the optimum value of m for a fixed ratio of W/L?
and if the ratio is not integer,for example,4.3u/0.8u,how to decide the value of m?

please help me.
thanks.[/u]

a strange question

the difference is the parasitic capacitance value, using fingures make use of charged junction

Re: a strange question

The stress effect would make the threshold voltage different in the two cases you were simulating

Re: a strange question

I think because of model binning Spectre uses different model for different size. You can check model parameters for each transistor using calculator.

a strange question

different m have different source and drain area which reuslt in different parasitic capacitator.
m also affact Vth.
Generally we decide a unit width to get good matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back