Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check for the ESD protection of the capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this circuit

vwk37.png

I need to check whether my input capacitors C0001-c0004 are protected for ESD events.

My ESD pulse spec: +/-8kV, 2kohms & 330pF. I have taken 130% of this +8kV as my ESD pulse for the worst case calculations.

I am performing the calculations as per this Article - Capacitor as ESD Protection

So, in accordance with the above article,

My calculations are below:

JpqrO.png

According to the above calculations, my questions :
  1. Since the required capacitance is more than the actual capacitance present in the above calculation, does this mean, I should increase the input capacitor capacitance value? Or what does it mean?
  2. So, after the ESD event, the capacitors will help to clamp the voltage to 72.512V approx. , & it will be present at Input_P node and will damage the Q0002 transistor, since Q0002 Vce(max) is only 45V. Since, 72.512V > 45V, won't this 72.512 damage the transistor and the other downstream components and also components connected on the Input_P rail?
So, should I focus on the capacitor capacitance value for the ESD calculations or should I focus on the ESD Clamp voltage ? I am confused. Please tell me how to validate my design using the calculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

as already mentioned in another thread: I don´t like the series connections of the capacitors.
What´s the benefit?

Drawback:
* half the capacitance
* much higher stray inductance by wiring
* unpredictable DC voltage - thus you can´t expect twice overall voltage capability
* bigger in size
* increased assembling cost
* I assume even higher part cost

8kV in a 330pF capacitor may deliver up to 2.64uAs.
push this into a - let´s say - 100nF capacitor then you get a voltage less than 27V.
Means a 100nF ESD capacitor won´t ever see some voltage in the kV range.

Klaus

As already mentioned, you can easily limit the voltage to a safe level by increasing the capacitance. Some considerations are unsubstantiated. Q0002 Vce is e.g. limited to a much lower value by a zener diode.

The capacitor series connection remembers me to redundancy requirements in some automotive safety rules.

I believe a TVS diode would be the standard way to protect the circuit.

As already mentioned, you can easily limit the voltage to a safe level by increasing the capacitance. Some considerations are unsubstantiated. Q0002 Vce is e.g. limited to a much lower value by a zener diode.

The capacitor series connection remembers me to redundancy requirements in some automotive safety rules.

I believe a TVS diode would be the standard way to protect the circuit.

Just to repeat KlausST's comment about using capacitors as an ESD protection: It is indeed a well-working solution, if the capacitance is sufficient. The easy way of estimating the theoretical maximum voltage is indeed considering the charge transferred. I am using myself the equation Voltage rise at the "capacitively bypased point" = Input voltage * tester's capacitance / the "bypass capacitance". In practice always less due to the energy loss in the series resistance.

I.M.H.O. thus if you can have sufficient by-pass capacitance, you don't need any TVS diode, especially if the capacitors have low inductance (such as the SMD chips always have) and the ground/return path and all involved wiring is done with low inductance/impedance. The component and wiring inductance is important because the rise time of an ESD pulse is very short!

My favorite example is related to an USB 2 connector: +VBUS is best by-passed and protected with a capacitor, but D+/D- lines have to be protected with ESD diodes, as they can't be bypassed by such loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.