Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How program PIC24 with ICD2 (no clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

traus

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i have some problems regarding PIC24FJ32GB002 programming (and debug) with ICD2. I've used Mplab 8.63 and this schematic

**broken link removed**

During programming, this pic is recognized: but a fail-salf test appears. These are obtained values:
Target Vdd High
Module Vpp High
MCLR Gnd Pass
MCLD Vdd High
MCLR Vpp High
In Settings->Power i have these voltages:
Target Vdd 3.75
Target Vpp 3.43
MPLAB ICD2 Vpp 12.94

What's wrong?
thanks in advance

It looks like something is wrong with your 3.3V supply on your board. It should not be as high as 3.75V. Check it with a multimeter.

Keith.

Reactions: traus

traus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
With a multimeter i measure 3.7V, so value displayed in mplab is correct. I'll try to correct to 3.3V

Thanks for your answer: with a correct Vdd i'm able to program...my firmware works good! I have now another problem: i'm not able to debug. During programming, i see an ICD0083 error: Debug: Unable to enter debug mode. What's wrong?
thanks in advance

Does any of this help:

Code:
From the MPLAB IDE online help for ICD2

General Debug Failure Actions
The MPLAB ICD 2 was unable to perform a debugging operation. There are numerous reasons why this might occur.

Top Ten Reasons Why You Can't Debug
# The oscillator is not working. Check your configuration bits setting for the oscillator.
# The target board is not powered. Check the power cable connection.
# The MPLAB ICD 2 has somehow become physically disconnected from the PC. Check the USB or COM communication cable connection.
# The MPLAB ICD 2 has somehow become physically disconnected from the target board. Check the communications cable connection.
# The device is code-protected. Check your configuration bits setting for code protection.
# MPLAB ICD 2 is selected as a programmer, and not as a debugger, in MPLAB IDE.
# MPLAB ICD 2 to PC communications has somehow been interrupted. Reconnect to the ICD in MPLAB IDE.
# The target application has somehow become corrupted. Try rebuilding and reprogramming the target application. Then initiate a power-on-reset of the target.
# Other configuration settings are interferring with debugging. Any configuration setting that would prevent the target from executing code will also prevent the ICD from putting the code into debug mode.
# MPLAB ICD 2 cannot always perform the action requested. For example, the ICD cannot set a breakpoint if the target application is currently running.

Other Things to Consider
# It is possible the error was a one-time glitch. Try the operation again.
# There may be a problem programming in general. As a test, switch to programmer mode and program the target with the simplest application possible (e.g., a program to blink an LED.) If the program will not run, then you know that something is wrong with the target setup.
# It is possible that the target device has been damaged in some way (e.g., over current.) Development environments are notoriously hostile to components. Consider trying another target device.
# Microchip Technology Inc. offers myriad demonstration boards to support most of its microcontrollers. Consider using one of these applications, which are known to work, to verify correct MPLAB ICD 2 functionality.
# Review the operational theory of ICD operation to ensure proper application setup.
# If the problem persists contact Microchip.

Keith

To add another point, PIC24 has three alternative ISP ports, they all work for programming, but for debugging, you can only use the port assigned in the configuration fuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.