Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How is surface current calculated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supernano

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
EM simulation software (e.g. CST-MWS), can calculate the current on the surface of conductors from the magnetic field solutions. Does anyone know how this current is calculated and what is it's meaning?
In a coaxial cable, for example, is that surface current all the current that flows through the conductors? Or is there current flowing through the bulk of the conductors as well?

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around these concepts. Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

After some reading, I understand now that in a perfect conductor the fields are zero inside the region, so n.B=0 and nxH=J. That will be the surface current.
I have a new question though. CST-MWS calculates surface currents for lossy conductors as well. Does anyone know if this is only the current at the surface or the sum of current along the skin-depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back