Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you avoid routing in between pins of SMD components in Altium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleyB

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to figure out how to avoid tracks getting routed in between the pins of resistors etc of surface mount components. I could make up rules for each component on the PCB but that would make a big mess. So I am looking for a global kind of rule that would cover say groups of particular types of components. Anyone who can point me in the right direction?

How about creating footprints with keepouts between the pads? That way it will always be there rather than having to set it up every time?

Why ?Smaller chip components pads if done to IPC-7351 standard would not allow this due to space available, other footprins will have the space to allow routes through soyou can route between some pins.

Hi Stanley,

instead of making rules for each component, make rule for type of footprint. for examle, if we don't want tracks in between 0805 footprint, write a clearance rule for it. In this case, we can group the type of footprints also in the rule.

hope this helps.

regards
skr

you could simply place a keep out area between the pads of footprint in your library. you wouldn't need rules for that.

Absolutely agree with Loosemoose make keepout area between pads in footprint itself.
If will make rules in layout then you have to make it for traces, each polygon that might feel around it and also if you create new polygon you have to add it into rules.
And also you have to make rules in every new design but library you have to make only once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back