Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I control 6 stepper motor with a PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you want to control each winding of each stepper? Controlling 6 motors at a time will be heck complicated with the kind of controllers you are trying to use.

I suggest you use specialized translator/driver devices that will allow you to control motors by simple interface, like step and direction signals. Allegro A3977, A3979 can work with 35V, 2.5A bipolar steppers. TI DRV8811 can work with 38V, 2.5A bipolar motors while TI DRV8821 can work with TWO 27V, 1.5A bipolar motors. I suppose these devices will be quite ok for you.

As for microcontrollers, you will need a microcontroller that can work fast enough to drive 6 motors simultaneously. You won't be able to accelerate/decelerate in real time since it involves a lot of calculations even for one motor. Using accel/decel tables would be great, especially if you use the same speed profile for all motors.

Hope this helps.

Girish

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Here are some suggestions. You can start with a board like Papilio Junior 2 which can use 1-axis stepper motor controller as well as 2-axis stepper controllers. You can then design your own stepper controller board that will support 6 motors.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Girish

Hi AlexNadal
I read you idea of controlling multiple stepper motors.At the moment, I'm experiencing PIC microcontrollers and I would like to have a C code to control a bipolar stepper motor with 2 coils and 4 leads. The motor need 2 Amps and I need an open-loop bipolar stepper motor driver based on PIC to start my experience in quad step mode.I need C code because it will be easy for me to modify if needed.
Please also advice me of the type of PIC I need for this bipolar stepper motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back