Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help to design for gsm 900 & 1800 range with gain of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Tweaker

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIFA antenna

Hi everyone,

does someone have an article about how to compute a PIFA antenna dimensions for a given frequency and/or a model for PIFA antenna. I don't really understand the principle of this antenna...

Thanx in advance

Re: PIFA antenna

You can find some discussion of PIFA antennae (no design equations though) in chapter 3 of the ebook;
Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas
by KIN-LU WONG

You can dowload the ebook from MCU fileman under the path,
Home/eBookOld/RF design/Compact Aand Broadband Microstrip Antennas.zip

link is;
**broken link removed**

Thanks a lot for the link, this is a huge resource. I will now have a look at the ebook.

Ghost Tweaker said:
Hi everyone,

does someone have an article about how to compute a PIFA antenna dimensions for a givean frequency and/or a model for PIFA antenna. I don't really understand the principle of this antenna...

Thanx in advance

Hi,

I think the simplest way to make pifa antenna is to make normal rectangular patch with for instance coax feed working on required frequency. Than, cut the patch in the half of the E-plane and put on the cut line shorting wall to the ground and throw away cut half of the patch. Of course not that half with feeding. :)

Check the book which ajar2dtn propsed you. :)

Greets,
Redi.

Dear ajar2dtn,

things become more clear with the help of the ebook. Do u have other links for ebooks?

GhostTweaker

Hello MW Antenna People,
hi need and antenna working from 6 to 18 GHz in dual linear polarization.
Do u have any ideas?

Merry Christmas
Lupin

Dear Redi,

as I understand your explanation is more a lambda/4 p_atch antenna. For me PIFA is feed line with one arm going to ground and the other arm left open. It's strange, everywhere I look, I never find a clear explanation or paper about this antenna. Anyway, thanks for your help. :D

Ghost Tweaker

Ghost Tweaker said:
Dear Redi,

as I understand your explanation is more a lambda/4 p_atch antenna. For me PIFA is feed line with one arm going to ground and the other arm left open. It's strange, everywhere I look, I never find a clear explanation or paper about this antenna. Anyway, thanks for your help. :D

Ghost Tweaker

Hi,

In the book mentioned here Compact And Broadband Microstrip Antennas by Wong, PIFA is refered also as probe-fed shorted patch. And when you take lambda/4 patch and you short it to the ground, because it is necessary and you will feed this patch by probe you will get PIFA. Just look at such structure from side view (substrate cut) and you will see the inverted F letter, where one arm of F letter is probe feed, second shorting wall and the rest of the letter is patch. :)

Greets,
Redi.

Thanx a lot Redi, finally something clear. So the PIFA is the p atch version. How do u call the version where the F is in the PCB plane?

Ghost...

u could read ieee paper the keyword:pifa & antenna to find out its
or goes to google to find this paper:
Antenna Design for Wearable Application

Ghost Tweaker said:
Thanx a lot Redi, finally something clear. So the PIFA is the p atch version. How do u call the version where the F is in the PCB plane?

Ghost...

Hi,

When F is on PCB it is called simply IFA. Check this topic on Elektroda, you will find there a lot of information:

**broken link removed**

Greets,
Redi.

hi all

i cant seem to dl from mcu
a window keeps opening with

FTP Error : 550 /eBookOld/RF design/: Permission denied
Current state : 4

however i am logged in

Status
Not open for further replies.