Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to build an Audio spectrum analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro_ok_bo

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I’d like to build an Audio spectrum analyzer with a PIC and a little/medium graphic Display.

I don’t like the PC solution by a internal sound card

Anybody can help me please?

To sample the spectrum from say 20-20kHz in real time will need a lot of processing power unless you split your sampling into specific bands (like on a graphic equalizer). Most high end analyzers use FFT routines and/or DSP processing for the task

Yes, it is true, modern audio specrum analyzer uses DSP to extract the spectral component of the audio signal.

However both Analog Devices and Texas Instruments make available very low cost ev-board of their device and the application you want to build is very common and so I think you can easily find the algorithm you need (substantially an FFT)

In the zip file attached you will find several audio algorithms for ADSP2181 with the m code for simulate them on matlab.

Hi,
my opinion is that with PIC16 is impossible to do more than 16 - point FFT in real time,I try to build DTMF decoder with PIC16F876 use internal ADC and failed.

I think on a smaller display (to be visible from longer distances (from your bed for ex.)) i think it's enough to have 16 columns. And the display can
be a 20x4 char LCD. (you should design 1-8 pixel
high blocks and you have 20 32 pixel high cols for
drawing nice bars :)

teorethically...

Zed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back