Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me debug a Verilog code for a .dat. file

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFK

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Verilog-debugging

Hiii

Iv been trying to run this particular piece of code for a .dat file. can someone please help me debug? it keeps giving me the following error

Module <test> has no port.

I made a .dat file as follows:

@002

11111111 01010101
00000000 10101010

@006

1111zzzz 00001111

Please help me with it.

Re: Verilog-debugging

Please explain what you're are trying to do. Your description says nothing. And add the code, without it we can't debug it.

hiii
im so sorry, im so stressed out i forgot to add the code.
Its as follows:

module test;
reg [7:0] memory [7:0];
integer i;

initial
begin

$readmemb("init.dat",memory);
for (i=0; i<8; i=i+1)
$display("memory [%0d]=%b",i,memory);
end
endmodule

The init.dat file is as under;

@002

11111111 01010101
00000000 10101010

@006

1111zzzz 00001111

Description:

What im trying to do is read an image on Verilog. I got a suggestion of using imread from MATLAB to convert an image to a matrix and then use it on Verilog but im unsure of how to do that.

can someone please help me...Thanks in advance

Here is the problem:

module test;

You should have at least one port, for example, a clock port.

Place one port even if you don't need it:

module test (input clk);

That should solve the problem

UFK

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks alot. That did solve my problem. It started giving me other errors about my init.dat file though :((

Please be more specific about those errors. Perhaps we can do something about those too.

Word of warning: I doubt you can store Z values into registers !

Thankyou for your help. Ill be a little more specific about what im trying to do here. My project is about applying the SPIHT algorithm on fpga. Im trying to read an image file on Verilog. I got suggestions of converting an image into matrix using imread command from Matlab and then storing the matrix values as a txt file in Verilog using addresses such as @002 etc for a certain string of coefficients.

My init.dat file was an example code i was trying for a future larger matrix. Now that its giving me wierd errors im back on square one. Any suggestions?

Added after 2 minutes:

Here are the two errors that i got

line 28: Value 186286124 found at line 1 is not binary in call of system task $readmemb.
ERROR:Xst:2634 - "test.v" line 29: For loop stop condition should depend on loop variable or be static.

what kind of errors? compilation errors?

These are the two errors that i got

line 28: Value 186286124 found at line 1 is not binary in call of system task $readmemb.
ERROR:Xst:2634 - "test.v" line 29: For loop stop condition should depend on loop variable or be static.

First error: is there anything in your .dat file that isn't 0's or 1's?

Second error: You should use "begin" and "end" instructions to close the "for" loop

for (i=0; i<8; i=i+1)
begin
$display("memory [%0d]=%b",i,memory);
end

Besides that, memory[] is a register, not a variable. Registers require a clock signal and cannot be used like that inside an Initial statement. You should store your result in an Integer or Real.

You should declare memory[] as:

integer memory[7:0] (unsigned)
or
integer signed memory[7:0] (for signed numbers)

However integers are not synthesizable in this case, and serve for simulation purposes only. If you want the code to be synthesizable it will require more changes.[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back