Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me choose Bluetooth module/chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeking911

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A add-on to the Not Very Elementary post:

Would the BGB203 from philips/NXP work for bluetooth? Is it small enough? I would save $5 if I order it now rather than later.

Also, do I need any special USB cord or something to program the PIC18LF2620 microprocessor?

I was looking for some tutorials on BASIC. I realized there were several different BASIC languages. There's Dartmouth BASIC, QBASIC, Visual BASIC, etc. Which one should I use to program the PIC18LF2620?

picprog4u basics

About the PIC Basic language question, I guess you are confused about the BASIC language, right? The BASIC, QBASIC and Visual Basic are languages for PC, no for PIC. Look for PicBasic Pro, maybe is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Carlos

bluetooth breadboard

try the jdm programmer......with picprog4u programming software...use mplab to generate the hex file....

how do i read bluetooth dongle in visual basic?

Hi Theron. It is not common having some one so young developing a project like yours. Congrats!. I read your previous message.

I'm currently developing my undergraduate project and it involves bluetooth, if you have questions regarding that, post em here and I will try to help you out.

I found a flyer of the Phillips module you mentioned. However, could you post the pdf link of the technical characteristics?. The profiles, the layers implemented by the manufacturer of the bluetooth chip play an important role when choosing the module to use.

As you know you need to program two bluetooth devices. Make sure the one attached to the PC (or your celphone) has the APIs you need for programming it.

Hope this helps for now.

picprog4u steps

Unfortunately, that Philips Bluetooth IC won't work. It has pins on all four sides, so it won't fit on my breadboard.

Re: Bluetooth

Hi Theron,

So you didn't like the Bluetooth module from Sparkfun? Seems like it's perfect for your project the module plugs right into your breadboard and they sell a dongle that plugs right into your USB port. They have a step by step tutorial getting it working with their Bluetooth dongle for the PC.

I just bought one for a new project - I'll let you know how it works.

Also, on your other discussion about PC boards. I agree with the guy that likes ExpressPCB. The board you get is 2.5" x 3.8" for about $60. Their schematic and pcb software is pretty good for small boards and you get it in 3 days.

Don't be lured into making your own unless you have lots of time. Also don't forget the cost of board stock and chemicals. And cleaning up the mess. I've done it and will never do it again.

Dennis

Most Bluetooth ICs come in very small packages (because they are intended for PDAs, movile phones and small devices like handsfree).

According to what I could read in the flyer, this chip takes care of the antenna. I'm not sure about this, but if it does it would save you a lot of trouble since copling requires advanced knowledge.

Bottom line, you could design a small "header board" in which you can solder the chip and expand its terminals so you get something like a DIP footprint compatible with your breadboard. (This trick is used widely in SM microcontrollers for prototypes).

Any way, let us know what you decide.

Good luck.

TOROCAR

Depending on what you're designing and the quantities, it may be better to just use a BT module rather than chip. You're going to need all kinds of extras to make that chip work.....plus, if you breadboarding it, you're gonna run into some antenna issues with a chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back