Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build AVR JTAG ICE MKII clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMOS

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Has anyone tried making AVR JTAG ICE MKII clone or reverse engineered it?
I would like to build one as the original one is too expensive!

jtagice mkii

There are several ICE clones available that use I believe the MEGA 8. I started to build one and then found a cheap on on Ebay.

While I have not purchased one yet, they tell me that the Dragon board can be used like an ICE to do programming and debugging. Digikey had these for $50.

Some of the ICE solutions from Atmel seemed to be priced way too high. With my clone ICE, I am able to program the parts and do JTAG debugging on the real parts at speed. What more is needed?

jtag ice mkii clone

banjo said:
There are several ICE clones available that use I believe the MEGA 8. I started to build one and then found a cheap on on Ebay.

While I have not purchased one yet, they tell me that the Dragon board can be used like an ICE to do programming and debugging. Digikey had these for $50.

Some of the ICE solutions from Atmel seemed to be priced way too high. With my clone ICE, I am able to program the parts and do JTAG debugging on the real parts at speed. What more is needed?

i guess ICE clones are not the ICE MKII . First version is not advancing anymore and there is lack of support for newer chips.

avr jtagice mkii

Those available on eBay are MKI which does not have Debug-wire interface that is used by most of the new AVR devices. Neither the Dragon board supports Debug-wire. Actually Atmel has very little information on this one.

I have the MKI clone bought from eBay and is too limited in terms of devices it can support so I am looking out for making MKII myself.

avr jtagice mkii clone

The debug-wire protocol is not available from Atmel. At least, this is what they told me 9 months ago or so. Since it is a 1 wire interface, it should be easy to implement with either a microcontroller or even bit-banging from a PC port. However, without details about the interface or protocol, it is pretty hard to clone without spending alot of time spying on the signals.
The earlier ICE clones I was referring to were possible because Atmel released the schematics and the details about communicating with the devices.

However, it is still my understanding that the Dragon supports this function. I just looked at the Atmel website and below is a cut and paste of their feature set for the Dragon.
The AVR Dragon sets a new standard for low cost development tools.
AVR Dragon supports all programming modes for the AVR device family.
It also includes complete emulation support for devices with 32kB or less Flash memory.

Programming Interfaces
- In-System Programming
- High Voltage Serial Programming
- Parallel Programming
- JTAG Programming

Emulation Interfaces
- JTAG
- debugWIRE
Text between the "**" is Atmel's comments not mine. I would take another look at the Dragon. From their latest website, they claim it provides an interface for debugWIRE.

jtagice mkii schematic

If you are looking for a cheaper JTAGICE mkII compatible instead of a pirate clone, you can consider the JTAGICE mkII-CN offered by a chinese company called mcuzone. They also made the first JTAGICE mkII clone in china market, but they don't sell it via eBay due to the legal concern.

I bought this one from their booth in Atmel AVR32 seminar last summer held in Shenzhen. Support AVR32 and XMEGA, so far so good.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/mcuzone__W0QQ_armrsZ1

avr ice clone

Hi,
I use this
**broken link removed**

and it works well even under linux.

avr jtagice

Arrow North America has a ½-price promotion offer on both AVR JTAGICE mkII and STK600 at the moment: http://www.arrownac.com/manufacturers/atmel/s/avr

You can order online and and pay with credit card, even as a private person (but you have to fill out a company name when ordering so just use your initials as company name if you order as a private person). They ship Worldwide, although the UPS shipping can be expensive. When ordering there's a "Preferred Shipping Method:" filed. In this filed you can just write "Cheapest shipping option" if you don't need it express.
But Arrow has in formed they are working on a new shipping deal with DHL that should make shipping abroad cheaper than the current UPS offer.

Start Designing Smarter Today!

Two popular AVR development boards are available at half the usual price:

STK600 Evaluation Kit - for AVR and AVR32 Devices
**broken link removed**
Retail price price - $199. Your price - $99.50

• • STK600 Adapter for SOIC Devices - AVR and AVR32 Starter Kit
    • Low-Cost On-Chip Emulator for AVR DEV
Low-Cost On-Chip Emulator for AVR and AVR32
**broken link removed**
Retail price - $299. Your price - $149.50

Re: AVR JTAG ICE MKII

Yes,I know some one made.

Look,They sell on ebay.**broken link removed**

Re: avr jtag ice mkii clone

Hello i have seen your board it looks very good but i am new to this embeded world can u help me to undtsand if your board good for ATxmega256D3.
Thx

- - - Updated - - -

I want to build sample jtag downloader for ATxmega256D3 i want be able only to download no debug fiture's. were should start in order to to it?Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.