Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Gerber - Which tool makes GBL files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamali

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help: Gerber

I have a design layout in DXF and GBR. I'm using a tool which needs GBL extension. Which tool should I use to make tis file? Many tnx in advance.

Re: Help: Gerber

Did you try to view it using GerbV (linux) or ViewMate (windows) ?

I have no problem to view my GBR file, what I need is GBL and GKO files. How can I make these files out of my GBR one? It seems that programs such as Altium Designer read GBL and GKO. Should I just change the name of my bottom layer GBR to GBL, and my keepout layer GBR to GKO, and it will work? Or are there other ways?

I made the Gerbers with CST. I used Visual CAM 2006 to check them. (CST can view the gerbers too). So, If I save layouts in different layers, how can I be sure that the relative position of them will remain constant?

if they are all gerbered with the same program & the same bed size settings then they should be in the same place.

Not that's its a problem as it should be simlple to align them, most board manufacturers would align them anyway.

There are so many different proprietary file extension schemes for gerbers files, I can't believe that a tool absolutely requires
to use a particular fixed extension. gbl and so on is used e.g. by Altium Designer. At best, the extensions may speed-up gerber
import. Even when using a fixed file extension syntax, it's strongly recommended to add layer marking to the PCB artwork
and a description file to the data set.

Thanks. I get it. Now about aligning. The problem is that I make this board myself! We have a milling facilty in our lab, and i need the GBL and GKO files for that. I don't remember right now what was the name of the software that works with the equipment, but its like any other PCB tool. plz let me know more about aligning. also, should i define APERTURE and NC? It seems XGerber does not need aperture, am i right?

Aligning the lower left board edge to (0,0) is a simple and clear method, for both gerber and nc data.
274-X format contains all aperture information, the same with the tool table in many nc formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back