Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: c programming for 8051 using labview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wang Shun Min

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
#define EE_READ 0x03 // EEPROM Read command
char HighByte,LowByte;
int convert_byte (HighByte,LowByte);

HighByte = EE_Read (0X07FE);
LowByte = EE_Read(0x07FE);
address= convert_byte(HighByte,LowByte); // return the converted value of high & low byte to the address
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
above is an extract of my code. may i know what does it means to have a declare functions follow by a bracket. (e.g. int convert_byte (HighByte,LowByte); ).

i would also like to know what does this means>>>>>>> "HighByte = EE_Read (0X07FE);"
thanks

Last edited:

int convert_byte (HighByte,LowByte); is a function prototype. The function will be defined elsewhere in the program. convert_byte() function takes two arguments which are HighByte and LowByte and they will be 8-bit variables. The function returns 16-bit int data therefore there is int before the function name. The code will combine highbyte and lowbyte into two bytes.

int return;

//...

highbyte = 0xFF;
lowbyte = 0xAA;

return = highbyte; //return will be 0xFF
return = return << 8; // return will be 0xFF00
return = return | lowbyte; //return will be 0xFFAA

return will be returned by the function so you can use something like

value = convert_byte(0xFF, 0xAA); //value is a int variable

Status
Not open for further replies.