Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headphone jack out as a line out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wf1318

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

Please take a look on the following picture first.

headphone_amp.jpg

Recently I had build 2 of this amp circuit for my family's PC as a headphone amp.
This little amp work OK when connected to headphone.
After that I have an idea is that I want to use the amp headphone jack output as a line out to drive a 3W cheap power amp,
just want to see what kind of sound will come out.
However there is no sound come out.

Therefore I check the circuit again, and then I connected it back to the headphone, and it work fine without any problem.

I don't know what happen, why it works fine with a headphone but not OK as a line out.

After that, I connect these 2 amp circuit as the following setup just want to find out what the is problem:

Headphone Amp Connection.jpg

I use a Headphone Jack Splitter connected to Amplifier 1,
and then this Headphone Jack Splitter is conneced to a headphone and also a audio cable is connected to Amplifier 2.
As the result there is no sound come out from the Headphone.
However, when I unplugged the audio cable, the sound is back to the headphone!

So, what is the problem with this amp?

Can I add / modify the component that I can make this amp can connect to other power amp?

Oh, sorry for my poor english....

Anyway, thank you.

Last edited:

If it puts out a strong enough signal for the headphones, then it ought to be sufficient for the amplifier.

Did you try feeding another sound source to the plug? Did that work?

I study the circuit again.
I found that the output terminal of this circuit is using positive (+) with the output signal, not like other normal audio device using Ground (-) with the output signal.

So, how can I convert a positive (+) output signal to Ground (-) output signal ????

Can someone suggest some simple circuit to convert it?

Thank you.

I study the circuit again.
I found that the output terminal of this circuit is using positive (+) with the output signal, not like other normal audio device using Ground (-) with the output signal.
Yes, it is a strange circuit, and not very good.

So, how can I convert a positive (+) output signal to Ground (-) output signal ????

Can someone suggest some simple circuit to convert it?
The easiest way is to connect a capacitor in series with the output. 1uF or higher is OK for line out. 100uF or higher will be needed for headphones. A resistor to ground after the capacitor is a good idea too.

If you use 100uF and 1K, it will be good for headphones and line out.

Thanks for "godfreyl" and "ALERTLINKS" suggestion first.
I follow the method they provided to modify the circuit a little bit.
Finally it work perfect without any problem!!!

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.