Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Guideline required for power supply design

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious_mind

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a crude requirements specification of a pulsed power supply, which is given below.
Input: 230V AC, power mains supply
Amplitude: +/-4kV, Current: 1mA, Pulse duration : 1us to 1ms. (variable)

I need to develop a quick prototype. Please advice what guidelines should I follow. Please provide suitable links(if any) to assist my design.

Last edited:

That's the specification of a high voltage pulse generator, not power supply.

Yet open specifications:
- load impedance range (capacitance, resistance)
- current limiting required?
- pulse rise/fall time

Yes, I am getting those requirements too. Please provide me the pointers for starting the design

more requirements:

pulse repetition rate?

pulse "rest" voltage? - does pulse start at -4kV and return to -4kV
or does it start at 0V and sometimes pulses to +4kV and sometimes to -4 kV?

tolerance of 4kV? -4kV?
allowed droop during pulse?

current draw at 4kV? at -4kV?

This is not an easy build as you need a fast switch able to tolerate more than 4kV, either way, vitro-vac(?) make some relays that might help but the requirement for 1uS to 1mS will be hard to meet - any cable capacitance in the output will mess up the rise and fall times and smear out the pulse - you have not identified the actual load - which will make a difference to the design - there my be some thermionic valves that can do this or you may choose to cascade some 1200/1700 V mosfets to provide the gating action, generating the 4kV is the easy part ...

either way the advice of a power electronics consultant with some experience in this field would be worth the cost ...

Status
Not open for further replies.