Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Generate 40mV to 50mV reference voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

d123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I know it's a really ludicrous question and asking the impossible, but I wonder if anyone can think of a (fantastically) clever way of generating a reasonably stable tiny voltage reference of about 40mV that:
a) wouldn't have a massive increase in Iq with increasing supply voltage.
b) could have a swing of 20mV across temperature range and supply voltage (that wouldn't affect circuit operation).

...Maybe using discrete components and low power ICs, and/or whatever building blocks that may fit the idea - but no microcontrollers, please. If it's impossible, which I suspect it is, well, not to worry. It doesn't have to be particularly precise or rock-steady at 40mV, just not fall below a voltage an op amp comparator could realistically sense, and ideally no lower than 30mV, nor go above a maximum voltage of about 55mV (59mV, in reality) which would stop the torch circuit turning off correctly when it should.

Voltage reference min. to max. range required: 40mV to 50mV, 30mV to 50mV would/could also work
Supply voltage: 3.9V to 6.6V
Temperature range: 0ºC to 85ºC

I want to - at least figure out a theoretical solution for the sake of the learning experience, if there is a solution to such a low voltage reference - shut down the torch circuit (the other thread I keep asking questions in) when it isn't being used because the LM4041 I'm using needs isupply + iload of 100uA at 3.9Vsupply - which would translate to ~300uA at 6.6Vsupply (as clearly, I don't have a supply current resistor that changes value with increasing supply voltage to keep Iq and Il at ~100uA). e.g. A quad LMC6464 uses about 80uA to 140uA across supply and temperature - a decent improvement on 100uA to 300uA.

I have come up with a logic and latch circuit that first in theory and subsequently in a simulation could work:

PRECISION CLAMP FOR TORCH SIDE PROJECT V1.JPG

But outside of Alice in Simulation Land and miniature voltage references that don't exist, a 40mV reference seems utterly impossible. I considered using the minimum output voltage from an op amp follower connected to ground, but it seems to vary enormously across temperature in a simulation. I'd wondered if applying a variable gain block (attenuator) could make the voltage follower rising Vout fall with temperature at an equal-ish rate as it rises and so have something vaguely stable?

I tried simulating a few things with a reverse-biased diode and resistors to limit current and divide down the ~0.55V to something usable, but I see that that is not good either - if in a simulation the reverse-biased diode cathode voltage stays quite steady at 580mV until 60ºC then falls to 380mV, in the real world, I dread to think...

I'd wondered if some sort of Vos follower followed by an inverting amplifier and a resistive divider somewhere in there could achieve anything?

If anyone has any (serious) suggestions, even just theoretical, I'd be really interested in hearing them.

Thanks.
--- Updated ---

Hi again,

First, LM4041 Iq + iL is actually 76 uA + (22uA + 22uA), about 125uA at 3.9V, about 308uA at 6.6V. My mistake, didn't have my notes/calculations with me earlier.

Second, I imagine the cure is worse than the disease regarding Iq, all additional components considered, I'm aware of this, my interest is 'how-to/can-do attitude' more than 'you're ignoring obvious flaws in your circuit' s current draw, etc.' I would just like to see if a loose, very low voltage reference is a viable idea somehow.

Third, I just realized: I was looking at the problem from (one of) the wrong side(s) - rather than try to fit the reference to the signal, it must be easier to fit the signal to a reference with a non-inverting amplifier with e.g. a gain of 10...

That would leave how to generate a very low power 300mV min. to 400mV to ideal 500mV max. reference. I can't think of anything whatsoever that wouldn't have severe temperature fluctuations, besides supply voltage dependency - not a resistive divider..., not a diode connected BJT..., not a bjt with diode temperature compensation..., not an LM334..., every idea I think of is afflicted by supply dependency and excessive temperature swing, and presumably equally high Iq.

Last edited:

Hi,

"Fairly stable" ...
"No massive increase in Iq"

... any values?

For the one +/-5mV is fairly stable, for the other +/-100ppm is fairly UNstable
The same with Iq.

Some calculations:

Some questions / informations:
* 1% of 40mV = 0.4mV or 400uV. In this region you need to calculate with ground currents (ground bounce), source impedance and load current, and last but not least thermocouple effects.

* with your recent project you used an 1.2V reference ... is it still available? 1M2 + 40k give about 40mV. ...with just one microampere added.

* shunt references need relatively high Iq, thus I'd avoid it. There are micropower (series) references.

* instead of a very precise reference voltage you could try to keep drifts for both - reference and signal - identical, so they cancel out.
One example is the ratiometric measurement method.

Klaus

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A low power bandgap, trimmable, with a post-divider /
filter is how I've done it (looking for 0.5V - 0.8V
references for POL chips). Resistors with low voltco
might be wanted, in the divider string.

Quantify the Iq tolerable and you can figure the
area (lower Iq wants highervalues resistors throughout).

Reactions: d123

d123

Another sleazy, but possibly adequate approach
is a simple resistor division of the input supply.
You ask for 20mV on a 50mV reference, that's
+/-20% while most supplies are 5%, 10% for older
TTL families and +/-15V analog domains. You'd
be looking at supply tolerance plus resistor match.
If you are provided a clean supply, this could be
the cheapest option in terms of real estate and
process sensitivities.

d123

Hi Klaus,

Hi,

"Fairly stable" ...
"No massive increase in Iq"

... any values?

Ah, okay, fair enough: vague (meaningless) parameters. Fairly stable is staying between 30mV and 50mV, that's around +-25%, I think. Iq = something like 100uA maximum.

For the one +/-5mV is fairly stable, for the other +/-100ppm is fairly UNstable
The same with Iq.

Some calculations:

Some questions / informations:
* 1% of 40mV = 0.4mV or 400uV. In this region you need to calculate with ground currents (ground bounce), source impedance and load current, and last but not least thermocouple effects.

My resistors are 100ppm...
Oof, ground bounce, I'd wondered if 30 to 50mV is asking for trouble where ground was concerned...
Hadn't even thought of source impedance or load current - how do they affect the reference?
Thermocouple effects is solder, trace and lead length affecting reference voltage via temperature? I read 0.7R contact resistance for an LM334 distorts a 1mA current by 1% just earlier.

* with your recent project you used an 1.2V reference ... is it still available? 1M2 + 40k give about 40mV. ...with just one microampere added.

* shunt references need relatively high Iq, thus I'd avoid it. There are micropower (series) references.

Yes, it is the 'problem component'. Its Iq goes from ~75uA at 3.9V to ~260uA at 6.6V... Otherwise I would have tried what you suggest.

Ah, series not shunt, okay, I'll know for a future occasion.

* instead of a very precise reference voltage you could try to keep drifts for both - reference and signal - identical, so they cancel out.
One example is the ratiometric measurement method.

Klaus

Need to read about ratiometric measurement method, not familiar with the term. I know same ppm resistors are recommended in circuit design as their drifts with temperature are about identical.

To avoid so many problems I wouldn't be able to either foresee and/or resolve properly, I'm trying to see where to get 400mV +- 25% from.
Looked at a temperature-compensated LM334 with a 1N4148, again, at 50uA - an evening of datasheets and maths, not finished working through worst-case values inherent to LM334 and it's still looking useless for a 50uA source into an 8k resistor for a very loose +-25% 400mV, all its possible errors... e.g. set current error = 44 to 56uA, Vin shift = 51.35 to 63.5uA, voltage across Rset ranges from 58 to 73mV, at least R1:R2 tempco error is only 0.00132% ... Are they cumulative errors? 50uA might become e.g. let's say something terrible like 90uA?
--- Updated ---

Hi dick-freebird,

A low power bandgap, trimmable, with a post-divider /
filter is how I've done it (looking for 0.5V - 0.8V
references for POL chips). Resistors with low voltco
might be wanted, in the divider string.

Quantify the Iq tolerable and you can figure the
area (lower Iq wants highervalues resistors throughout).

Thanks, would be nice. I'm stuck with what I have in the (archaic) components bin of mine.

I'm healthily envious of ICs that have internal references of 100mV and lower, based on current sources, I suspect, from what I read and glean from the simplified schematics.

Don't want to exceed 100uA.
--- Updated ---

Another sleazy, but possibly adequate approach
is a simple resistor division of the input supply.
You ask for 20mV on a 50mV reference, that's
+/-20% while most supplies are 5%, 10% for older
TTL families and +/-15V analog domains. You'd
be looking at supply tolerance plus resistor match.
If you are provided a clean supply, this could be
the cheapest option in terms of real estate and
process sensitivities.

I wish... Not possible, supply is 4*AA batteries in series, so from 6.6V to 3.9V.

Just really interested in any how-to, even for +-25% 400mV at no more than 100uA on the 6.6V.

Very, very deluded wish of mine, I think, as it's just not feasible with jellybean parts and my hobbyist brain... Theoretically, a 1N4148 has a 'good' best-fit at 50uA If (0°C = ~525mV, 85°C= ~366mV), but the home-made, stiff, supply-independent current source to power it is another matter...

Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited:

There are several micropower reference sources with a few uA supply current available. Consider a voltage divider to achieve output in the 50 mV range.

The simplest way is a xtor current source generating 100uA into a 4v7 zener in series with a 4148 diode

Resistor divide this down to 40mV and voila ...!

Hi,

Look at the manufacturers. They have selection charts.
Like this:
Down to 5 (1) uA.
Other vendors will have comparable parts.

Klaus

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I see only realistic choice is selecting an appropriate micropower voltage reference.

I want to say, continuing my unhealthy obsession with the LM334 and how problematic it is: Using a two-transistor 2N2907A current source and a two-transistor 2N2222A current sink with a 1N4148 diode betwen them, no matching anything, all random components, no measuring resistors, just calculating for 50uA into diode (measured 56.8uA), it came out at (an expectable) 430mV at 3.9V and 473mV at 6.6V at about 20ºC. The LM334 ~400mV reference needed a 'huge' voltage-dropping resistor to lower it's Vin to about 2.5V to get around that 450mV reference voltage. Home-made trash had only 10% error ...admittedly, before exploring real-world temperature range effects ruining everything... I'm going to work on that one if I get the chance/time, my the other unrealistic obsession - home-made voltage references that are supply-independent and temperature independent, and surely with a 20% error budget (instead of no-chance 1%) that would be possible.

I imagine most people have seen this article in 'Electronic Design' as it is advertised in email newsletters, an interesting way of generating low-voltage references. I'll post the link anyway:

**broken link removed**

Thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back