Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

general about pitch detection for voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

vahidkh6222

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to know some general things about the pitch in speech.may be I'm wrong, but I think that every speech signal has it's own specific different pitch. If it is true, then is this pitch extractable easily? can we easily differentiate between people's speech signals by their detected pitch?

more general: is there any reliable technique to just differentiate between sounds of a man and a woman. just like human hearing system.(i dont need so percise measurings i just want some differentiatable properties.)
I'm just trying to come up with an idea for my MS thesis proposal, help me please.

Hello,

Roughly speaking, a speech signal can be classified as voiced or unvoiced. Voiced
sounds are generated when the vocal cords vibrate in such a way that the flow of air from the lungs is interrupted periodically, creating a sequence of pulses to excite the vocal tract.eg, when we utter vowels like 'a', 'e', etc.
In timedomain, voiced sound is characterized by strong periodicity present in the signal,with the fundamental frequency referred to as the pitch frequency, or simply pitch.For men, pitch ranges from 50 to 250 Hz, while for women the range usually falls somewhere in the interval of 120 to 500 Hz.Pitch
frequency is directly related to the speaker and sets the unique characteristic of a
person.Pitch period can be estimated from different techniques and one simple method is autocorrelation method where the periodicity in the signal can be measured.
Hope this helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.