Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate level simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhsj81

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
using clock in gate level codes

Hi All,

I am quite new to the digital synthesis and came across a problem which I cannot really seem to be able to debug...(to be honest, can't narrow down the problem).

I wrote relatively small vhdl code, mainly consisting of FSMs. I ran simulations using series of input vectors and confirmed that the output is correct. I then used RTL_compiler to synthesize the code.

I created an ideal input clock (read from somewhere that for the input clock, I can set it to be ideal, for I will be using clock tree synthesis during P&R process), external_delay (both input and output) and various other constraints that were present in the detailed RTL_compiler synthesis template provided in the RTL_compiler document.

The synthesis ran without any errors and now I wanted to carry out functional verification using the ncsim, without any SDF file, just to confirm that the Gate level netlist was correct. I used a vhdl testbench with the verilog gate-level netlist using multi-step mode in nclaunch (for compilation of verilog, I included the required technology libraries), which compiled without any errors. I elaborated the code and made sure that for the verilog compilation options, I set zero delay, and disable timing checks (also followed similar procedures for the vhdl compiler equivalent).

Now when I run simulations using same set of bit-vectors that i used in RTL simulations, using ncsim, I get 'x' (don't care state) for all the outputs. At time 0, when the reset is low, the outputs held correct values, and after few clock cycles after the reset turned to '1', all the outputs became 'x'. Even if the gate-level netlist is wrong in terms of timing for setup or hold times, I thought I should still get valid outputs for I set the mode to zero delay mode, is this correct? If this is wrong, i guess that I should re-synthesize with better constraints.

Any directions for debugging would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

gate level simulation

Are you resetting all of the registers during reset? Are all the inputs valid? Are any warnings output by the simulator? Have you traced back the X's to the source of the problem? i.e. the first point in the logic cone where the X occurs.

gate simulation disable timing

Hi,

I should have posted an answer to the question that I have posted once I have found an answer to it, however I forgot to do so. Yeap the problem was due to one of the signals not being reset... (quite embarassing) Once this was fixed all the x's went away. Thanks anyway for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back