Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Response of a HW Rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetra

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hw-retifier

I am modeling the audiotary system of mammals. In the model I have a half wave rectifier block. I need to develop frequency response of the rectification action. How do I go about that? Can any one give me a lead?
I tried to compare the Fourier Series coefficients of input and output for a simple sine wave rectification, but could not come up with anything useful.

Thank you

M

h-w controlled rectification

I assume you mean a DSP function that is a half wave rectifier. But in the real analog world, a half wave rectifier has a freqeuncy response that is selectable by the designer. THis is because there are two parts to a physical half wave rectifier: 1) something that rectifies a sine wave to become a series of one-way current pulses (usually a diode), and 2) something that integrates (or stores) those rectified current pulses (usually a capacitor). The diode has a series resistance, so there is a R-C time lag in charging up the capacitor, and the capacitor has a load resistance across it, so there is another R'-C discharge time in the capacitor voltage drooping after the sine wave input goes away.

So, simplistically, a half wave rectifier can be thought of as a rectifier with a lowpass filter response. More precisely, it can be thought of as a rectifier with different rise and fall times--both user controlled.

Basically, a halfwave-rectifier is a nonlinear circuit, while frequency response is a linear prperty in circuit theory. So my general simple answer is: It has none!

Obviously, the auditory system is exposing nonlinear effects at high sound pressure levels, but it's surely linear at low levels. Thus I don't expect that the said rectifier is an appropriate model for the main signal path. It may be a means to model non-linear effects in a parallel path.

P.S.: If you refer to the frequency selective sound level detection in the inner ear, the detector could be possibly thought as a rectifier. It may be characterized with a response and a decay time. But it has nothing to do with fourier series. It has a frequency response related to the signal envelope rather than the original signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back