Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free VHDL simulator for wave form viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Does anyone know of any free IDE where one can write, compile, simulate VHDL codes and view associated waveforms? I tried Sonata by Symphony but I could not find any option to force values to the input ports in the waveform viewer (in other words I will need to write a separate testbench to view the output).

I am looking for something like Xilinx ISE to create tutorials for beginners. If one needs to write a separate test bench to simulate and see the output, the beginners may have a problem. I am planning against using Xilinx ISE as it is complicated.

Any pointers towards any other free software/ how to force waveforms in Sonata waveform viewer will be thankfully acknowledged.

Thanking You,
Arvind Gupta

Take a look at EDA Playground.

Take a look at EDA Playground.
Thanks for your reply. It has two sub-windows,; one for the code and the other for teh test bench. Anyways, can it be used to simulate and see wwaveforms without having to write a test bench ?

Anyways, can it be used to simulate and see wwaveforms without having to write a test bench ?
o_O
For the 1st time in my life I have someone wanting to simulate a design without creating a test-bench!
Who am I dealing with?

Anyways, can it be used to simulate and see wwaveforms without having to write a test bench ?
o_O
For the 1st time in my life I have someone wanting to simulate a design without creating a test-bench!
Who am I dealing with?
I've seen this methodology before...

Lots of Modelsim .do force files (without comments), not something I'd recommend doing.

Lots of Modelsim .do force files (without comments), not something I'd recommend doing.
Me too. Forcing one or two signals for a quick and dirty debug is ok, but forcing signals and trying to verify a design can never ever be a way to simulate!

And I still do not understand this part from the OP:

I am looking for something like Xilinx ISE to create tutorials for beginners. If one needs to write a separate test bench to simulate and see the output, the beginners may have a problem. I am planning against using Xilinx ISE as it is complicated.
No, why? It means then those beginners do not have the proper education or guidance in testing a design. A proper methodology must be followed.

if you say ISE is too complicated, then your bar is really low. these are not beginners, these are completely untrained individuals.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

Ok, let me clarify. Consider that I want to simulate a 2-input AND gate. Let the inputs be ‘A_in’ & ‘B_in’ and the output be ‘C_out’. Accordingly, I am looking for either of the following:

** As in Xilinx ISE (eg. ver. 10.1) where one can toggle the input waveforms A_in and B_in to generate all the four input cases (00, 01, 10, 11). Then run the simulation and view the waveforms for both the inputs and the expected output.

** As in Modelsim (eg. Student edition), where after opening the simulation window, one can right click on an input value (A_in and B_in in this case) and select the ‘Force’ option to enter the input string (For eg: A_in as ‘0011’ and B_in as ‘0101’). Then click the ‘Play button’ to watch the output waveform as per the input waveform cases.

The target audience are ppl. Who are studying / have just studied Digital electronics and want to try out VHDL design with small number of inputs. I simply don’t want to burden the newbies with writing a text case. That’s why this query.

Looking for your reply.

Regards,

Arvind Gupta.

I would still insist on writing a testbench. Even for a 1 input NAND gate DUT.
Advantages:
1. It will save time forcing the signals manually and viewing the output manually
2. Since the TB will drive the inputs and can also be made to check the output (self-checking TB), it will help to reduce human perception errors.

Q: How long will the students manually verify a NAND gate or a half/full adder? I mean they are just two small lab exercises. Sooner or later they must learn to use a create an effective TB, so why not from the beginning?

You should show them the use of the "force" but do not give them an impression to use it as a means to verify extremely small designs.

I would still insist on writing a testbench. Even for a 1 input NAND gate DUT.
Advantages:
1. It will save time forcing the signals manually and viewing the output manually
2. Since the TB will drive the inputs and can also be made to check the output (self-checking TB), it will help to reduce human perception errors.

Q: How long will the students manually verify a NAND gate or a half/full adder? I mean they are just two small lab exercises. Sooner or later they must learn to use a create an effective TB, so why not from the beginning?

You should show them the use of the "force" but do not give them an impression to use it as a means to verify extremely small designs.
Hello,

here is best series of lectures related to Verilog (41 lectures) I has ever seen, from simple design like full-adder to project of RISC CPU. From beginning lots of attention is pay for simulation and writing test benches. It is worth to be viewed:

Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back