Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA has been obsoleted, need to choose Microcontroller for next product revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweecer

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FPGA obsoleted, need to select new FPGA or Microcontroller for next product revision

Hello All,

We have been using the Xilinx XCS05 in our current design for almost a decade. It was obsoleted last year, but I have enough on hand to last approximately a year.

The application is Automotive EPROM "emulation" through the PCM's external service port on FORD EEC-IV & EEC-V ranging from 1984 to 2004. Our current design uses the FTDI FTD2XX, Xilinx XCS05 and Atmel AT29C040 flash memory. The primary purpose has been to allow recalibrating the parameters (CID, injector size, etc...) to match modifications to the engine, etc... Along with code patches to implement a data stream for Real Time data viewing/logging.

Since we are being forced to change our design, we want to add some additoinal features and perhaps simplify the design/layout with fewer parts count. Below are some requirements and some "Would be Nice" options. My background is almost exclusively software (PC/Application) with the dabbling in mc as needed. C is my strong suit, but can handle assembly (after 8+ yrs of 8061/5 assembly on these PCM's).

- 5V inputs and outputs, this is a must have
- 5V core, would simplify the design, no 3V regulator required
- USB built-in - Not an absolute requirment, but definitely preferred
- Wireless built-in is an option
- Internal oscillator, a given if USB is built-in. Currently running at 6MHZ
- Free or low cost design software
- Long term support, won't obsolete parts anytime soon
- Package that can be reworked, probably something similar to what we have - XCS05-3VQ100I
- Onboard EEPROM 4Mb currently in use but would like 8Mb. This is a Would be nice, but definitely not required.
- Flash programmable, no external configuration EEPROM
- Analog inputs - 2 minimum and 4 maximum
- Number of digital inputs depends design, if EEPROM and/or USB built-in then not many I/Os are needed
- Maybe some device used by hobbyists with open source software

Space is limited, board size needs to remain in the 2.970 x 1.400 inches in size, though I have not really looked into new cases/covers available, as we could probably go wider, up to 4.000 inches.

I would be genuinely thankful for any suggestions that at least direct me to cost effective families that I can sift through. There are just so many options out there and I am just not savvy enough (YET!) to narrow things down in a timely enough manner.

Thanks to all suggestions in advance.

--
Best Regards,

Mike Glover
Slower Traffic Keep Right
www.TwEECer.com
info@tweecer.com

Last edited:

Dean,

Thanks for the input! I looked at the datasheet and this unit seems more like a replacement for the entire PCM, which is beyond the scope of our product. I changed my description above which SHOULD have said EPROM emulation instead of the more generic term of "replacement". Our product is an advanced Custom Chip module for the @Home DIY tuner to make their own adjustments without having to rely on a "Professional" tuner. We are looking more to extend our current product to include Analog inputs for reading Wideband AFR, Boost (MAP) and possibly other useful add on sensors.

If a MC is overkill, I am open to suggestions. Re-iterating that the on-chip USB is more desirable than the flash used for storing/selecting the PCM's calibration.

Please keep the ideas coming!

I like having the wireless feature built in. I also enjoy the 5v input and output. Space is limited but it's so important, so get the most that you can get.

Then probably the RF module MCU are best suited for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Then probably the RF module MCU are best suited for you.

I spent (too many) hours this weekend trying to locate and compare options, but really went in circles. There are just too many options available, for a NOOB like me. The RF is a nice feature, but not really a key selling point for the product. There is already 1 cable required for the BCD switch used to select one of the 4 different calibrations, so the 2nd cable (USB) is an acceptable requirement.

Is there a single supplier or other website where someone can browse/filter/compare all/many/popular microcontrollers? I am afraid that my inexperience with the hardware is limiting my search term formation.

Still looking for experienced guidance.

--
Best Regards,

Mike Glover
Slower Traffic Keep Right
www.TwEECer.com
info@tweecer.com

goto mouser or digikey and there you can select the MCU from there.

Microchip have a product selector tool for their MCUs
**broken link removed**

do you require USB device (you can connect to a host such as a PC) or USB host (you can plug in a USB flash drive or similar device)?

a simple way to add WiFi is to use an external device such as an XPORT Matchport which connects via a UART serial link
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back