Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Formulas used in magnetic levitation train model

HighTechPower

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I'm designing a magnetic levitation model train just like this
The only difference may be to use disk magnets for tracks instead of strip type magnets (I'm considering both options at this stage before deciding finally).
The engineering part of design is easy, however, I want to know and have to submit the physics/math formulas used in this model train. I searched the net but could not find the best fit. Can anybody help in this regard?

I gather there are different approaches to making these maglev models. Is electric power conveyed in the track or is it produced in the train? Are the magnets located in the train and the coils in the ground, or vice versa?

You're looking at the physics of:
* making cars lightweight as possible
* what electrical action propels the train forward
* how much force is needed to propel the train forward
* whether a stationary train settles to the ground or whether repelling magnets keep it suspended continually.

A chief factor is how much electric power does it take to generate attractive or repelling force? The terms you'll encounter include gauss, Tesla, Amperes, etc.

I gather there are different approaches to making these maglev models. Is electric power conveyed in the track or is it produced in the train? Are the magnets located in the train and the coils in the ground, or vice versa?

You're looking at the physics of:
* making cars lightweight as possible
* what electrical action propels the train forward
* how much force is needed to propel the train forward
* whether a stationary train settles to the ground or whether repelling magnets keep it suspended continually.

A chief factor is how much electric power does it take to generate attractive or repelling force? The terms you'll encounter include gauss, Tesla, Amperes, etc.

Formulas apply to defined field configurations, but not field configuration is given, not even a rough sketch.
Hi guys if you don't mind, the video link I shared is sufficient to explain what I'm looking for. So instead show your home work in participating here

Yesterday I finally found a very simple formula and understood i.e. to calculate flux density for a solenoidal coil to be used inside maglev train as below,
\( \oint B.dl = u_oNi \) so
\[ B = (u_oNi)/L \] where
L is the length of the solenoid. Also we can multiply \[ u_o \] with relative permeability \[ u_r \] if a magnetic material is used inside the coil winding to increase magnetic strength. Then formula becomes as below,
\[ \oint B.dl = u_ou_rNi \] so
\( B = (u_ou_rNi)/L \)

Similarly though we don't need toroidal coil here, however if used anywhere other than maglev then it's formula is as below,
\[ \oint B.dl = u_oNi \] so
\( B = (u_oNi)/2\pi r \) where
\[ 2\pi r \] is the perimeter of the toroid. and to increase magnetic strength if a magnetic material is used then formula is modified as below,
\( \oint B.dl = u_ou_rNi \) so
\( B = (u_ou_rNi)/2\pi r \)

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back