Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fly back diode failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jishnuprakash

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
I am using a 1N4007 and 53ohm resistor as flyback circuit for operating solenoid coil
now I am facing problems with failure of the diode, diode has found open in multiple boards
what could cause this problem ?, is there any equation selecting the resistance value ?
or is it problem with diode itself, I am using MIC make 1N4007

Attachments

• CE627 SCHEMATIC & BOM_LDV - R10.jpg
    CE627 SCHEMATIC & BOM_LDV - R10.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 147

That diode should work perfectly unless your voltage/power readings for the circuit are WAY off.
hi,
thanks for the reply
we are using the above circuit to drive a 24V 2.5W AMISCO , when I checked coil resistance
after failure it shown the normal value, is there any chance for over voltage or current if there is no coil damage ?

Besides the point, that the 56 ohm resistor is effectively useless but doesn't disturb, I'd consider the circuit as just standard. I don't see a way to damage the diode by electrical means.
--- Updated ---

Possible failure scenarios are e.g.:
shorted solenoid coil -> transistor damage
massive supply overvoltage -> transistor + solenoid damage
supply reversal -> R103 burn, without R103, diode and possibly transistor can be damaged

Last edited:

Diodes usually fail shorted if the ratings are exceeded, which cannot really happen in your circuit.

Its much more likely you are the victim of a batch of sub standard diodes from a third world country.
Suggest you dump the lot, and buy some more from a well known reputable component house.
A reputable seller will have full ISO traceability and paperwork right back to the manufacturer.
If you buy direct from China, it may be o/k or maybe not.
Sadly, this type of thing is becoming a lot more common.

the only thing i can think of is , is the diode the right way round in the actual cct?

Status
Not open for further replies.