Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIR Peaking EQ/Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

saatwik

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
FIR Peaking EQ/Peaking Filter

I haven't seen anybody implementing FIR Peaking EQ or filters. Is there any reason why a peak filter is difficult/impossible to implement with a FIR?

Hi saatwik,

I'm not specialized in audio technology (I guess you are speaking about audio applications), but I can guess that if FIR filter are not used, this is because the same result is obtained more simply with IIR.
Of course, peak and notch filters can be made in FIR. But:
a) if the filter is sharp (high Q) a great order is needed
b) if you want to adjust the sharpness (Q) or the center frequency, all the coefficients must be changed.

Instead, simple peak filters can use IIR of 2nd order. The Q is adjusted changing only one coefficient, and the center frequency is adjusted changing another one.
The gain can be easily adjusted in both cases (IIR or FIR).
I hope this help you.
Regards

Z

Hi saatwik,

I'm not specialized in audio technology (I guess you are speaking about audio applications), but I can guess that if FIR filter are not used, this is because the same result is obtained more simply with IIR.
Of course, peak and notch filters can be made in FIR. But:
a) if the filter is sharp (high Q) a great order is needed
b) if you want to adjust the sharpness (Q) or the center frequency, all the coefficients must be changed.

Instead, simple peak filters can use IIR of 2nd order. The Q is adjusted changing only one coefficient, and the center frequency is adjusted changing another one.
The gain can be easily adjusted in both cases (IIR or FIR).
I hope this help you.
Regards

Z

I see. Thanks for the answer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.