Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding the maximum gain in HFSS precisions in decbels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex329

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to know on HFSS when we click on compute antenna/max parameters to find the maximum gain of a design, we can see a peak gain value which is not in dB. I would like to know if we have to do 10 log(Peak Gain) to get the maximum gain value in dB?
Also, I would like to know for the 3D polar plot from create far fields report, we have gain values in dB for different colors. For exemple for the red, if we have 1.5e+001, what does that mean? is it 1.5*10^1 dB or 1.5*e^1 dB? Does the red color also represent the maximum gain?
Thank you

Hi,
In the "compute antenna parameter" module, the gain is in linear value. so you have to take 10 log(gain).
In a 3D polar plot, it's you that define the representation of the gain, dB value, linear value ... If you have choose dB and if the result is 1.5e+001 for the red area, the gain is 15 dBi. The red color gives you the area where the gain is maximum. If you want to have more precision, you can trace in a rectangular plot versus angle (theta at phi fixed depending on the position of your antenna) the gain.
Have good simulations.
Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back