Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impact of radiation box shape on antenna gain in HFSS

MuroSamuro

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I modeled a basic horizontal lambda0/2 dipole above a ground plane.

Initially, I simulated the dipole in free space, yielding a reasonable antenna gain of 1.64 (or ~2.14 dBi).

Next, I simulated it over an infinite ground plane. While the normalized radiation pattern stayed consistent, the gain fluctuated with changes in the radiation box shape (rectangular, cylindrical, and spherical).

For example, with a rectangular radiation box, the gain raised to 6.88, over four times the gain of a single horizontal dipole (that is the correct number, i.e. 6.56).

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

Thanks.

If the ground plane intersects the radiation box, I'd not be surprised by such behavior. You're taking a farfield transformation of some propagating surface waves, which probably invalidates some assumptions made about the modes incident on the radiation boundary, resulting in a highly curvature-dependent result.

I might suggest replacing the radiation boundary with a PML, to see if you get similar results to the rectangular case. Also, I might suggest simulating a finite, but large, ground plane to see if the results are similar to any of the other cases.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back